Is the name a religion chooses to use for God really important?

If you don't believe in any God, this really isn't for you. But, if you do, do you really think the name a certain religion gives to the Creator is important or do you think in the long run we are are following the same God and people have just mixed up the names over the years?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 1:54 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Depends on who you ask. I know of 3 religions that believe in the exact same god but becasue they call him different names some people refuse to accept that it is the same God.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I don't believe what we call Him or how we relate to Him is important. I do believe that we are all relating to the same Divine, though...

And I do agree with Kristi, the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) all worship the God of Abraham, yet so many are so quick to claim that they do not worship the same God....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• The name is just a name excepts for things like "the Father" because Jesus did refer to God as the Father
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 2:06 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Not to me
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I don't believe that we're all following the same God and technically my God never really gave a name but He's the only Father I've ever known so I call Him Father.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• It absolutely does matter .... the various religions differ on who God is. They differ on the character of God and therefore they cannot all be multiple roads to the same destination, or different ways to worship the same God. If they don't believe in the fundamental characteristics of God, then they aren't worshiping God.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 2:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• To me personally, based on my personal beliefs.

No.. The name one chooses to use does not matter.......

Why? My belief is this. The name one chooses to address the One Universal Creator does not matter because all who Choose to believe in the Creator believe in the One Universal Creator (Ek Onkar). All who believe, believe in The One Universal Creator regardless of the name they use, the name of the place they worship or the name of the holy/sacred text they read believe. There are many paths, however each path leads to the same destination. There is no 1 single right and true path to god. Just the right path for each individual in each lifetime they live (and for some that is the path of non belief as well).
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:58 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• No, I don't believe in universalism. The god you are referring to is the god of the ancient Hebrews who lived in the Middle East. The only reason anyone outside that ancestral group worship it at all is because their ancestors were conquered and ordered to under pain of death.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:16 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I belive in a God and Goddess. I believe that God and The Goddess have many different names as well as many different aspects/forms. I also think that all Gods are one God and all Goddesses are one Goddess. The aspects and names of God that I am closest to would be Anubis or Cernunnos. but just because I view God wth that name doesnt mean I think everyone in the world should view God like that. I dont care what name someone calls God. it could be Dagda, Odin, Jehovah, ect. and I feel the same way about The Goddess. the Aspects of the Goddess I am closest to would be Persephone(The Maiden), Isis(The Mother) and Hecate(The Crone). while someone else could call Her Bastet, Rhea, Morrigan, ect.

I also feel the same way about the afterlife. I believe that Its the same place just with different names to different people. what I call The summerland someone else could call it Heaven, Annwen, Elysium Fields, Aaru, or Tir Na n'Og.
    flower_angel

Answer by flower_angel at 3:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I suppose I think it's all really the same, but different cultures and individuals have different names and different ways of relating to what they believe the 'divine' to be. Personally, I don't believe in supernatural gods, but I believe people assign human like qualities to deities in order to relate to each other, nature, and the universe in general. This is my personal view, so if someone else believes they are all really different that's their view. I understand others come to different conclusions, but I believe any 'feeling of God' we have is all really the same thing whatever people choose to call it.

I'm not exactly a Classical Pantheist, but this is the closest to my view: The Omniverse is the Quantum Physics view on existence and the Classical/Mystical Pantheist view on existence. It is similar to what Theists call a god.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2011