Why are so many married moms scared to be home alone at night?

Realized I should probably answer my own question, even though I'm not married.  I'm not judging, I'm genuinely curious.  I'm a single mom and the nights both of my boys are gone, I have a hard time, too.  I know they're not going to protect me, but I'm not fearful - I just don't like being in the house completely alone.

Ginger0104

Asked by Ginger0104 at 1:59 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Relationships

• I think it kind of depends on the area a person lives in, and what they're used to. I lived alone for quite a while before getting married - so I was used to being alone at night. Plus I live in a small, quiet area - very little crime, etc. So it doesn't bother me - unless we're getting a storm and i'm home alone with all the kids ;) - kind of hard to get them out of bed & into the basement by myself if we have really bad weather, lol!
    Anonymous

• For some just perhaps they were sexually abused by a predator at a young impressionable age which caused phobic fear of being alone at night...just saying perhaps that could be one of the reasons. We live in a scary world..or hadn't you noticed?

meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:01 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• OMG I LOVE an empty house! I get to play single. Drink a martini and watch sex in the city. lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:05 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• im not married but im afraid of the dark LOL
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 2:00 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I was when my ex first started working out of town, but I'm not sure why. I got to where I loved it, after I had called the police to check things out the first few nights when I heard strange noises! lol I got to know the guys that had me on their "beat" on a first name basis and when they found out my husband was out of town at times and I had young kids, they promised to drive by every so often.

Answer by missanc at 2:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• it doesn't bother me to be home alone at night but I know a lot of women it does.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 2:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I always feel safer with my DH home, I guess just because he's a man. I feel he would be more likely to scare off an inturder. I recently got pepper spray and I feel a little safer with that. At the end of the day I kind of feel like if a mad man with a gun breaks into my house there isn't much either of us would be able to do so it won't matter if he is there or not. I do keep his work boots on the porch when he is gone. I am also glad to have a dog with a fierce growl and loud bark- hopefully he would scare someone off, too. But I always sleep fine, I just double check that everything is locked up and I leave all the outside lights on.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:13 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• i'm not scared to be alone, but i have had nothing happen to me.

there is this one girl on my FB who always has to say something about the weather and i question myself why she's so scared as an adult with a bf and a child? "omg! its raining out, i hope it doesnt thunder and lightening out, wish BF was home!" "its so windy, i cant possibly sleep in this wind." " omg i heard something crawl across the stove, wish my bf was here." "i hate thunderstorms, why does my bf have to be at work?"

its just on and on about how the weather scares her, on the other hand i'm hoping the louder the thunder, the more restful i can sleep and how romantic it is for it to lightening
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 2:24 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Because I've had someone try to break into the house and I do feel like my Husband is some protection. I don't even have a working phone all I can really do is grab the baby and try to climb out a window.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 2:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I am, but I only got that way after I had someone try and break in while I was home. I can tolerate it though, I just keep a gun that I am secure using for safety.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 2:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2011