Can there be true Freedom Of Religion without Religious Equality? (on a legal level)

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:26 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• bump

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:29 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• No, there cannot. In order for there to be true religious freedom, all people have to be equally free to follow their various religions.... equally. Each religion must be given equal freedom/opportunity. They can't favor any over the others, or neglect any....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Depends on what you mean. Personally, unless laws are passed to forbid the practices, where is the inequality? Ecumenism would be nice, but we don't live in a country that supports that as much as staying out of it.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• i think there could be and there is
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 3:14 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• You can make things equitable up to a point, but it's hard to make everything completely equal because there are so many different people and religious.  I think an effort should be made to be fair to all, but there has to be boundaries somewhere.  It's all hypothetical.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• yes i mean we already have freedom of religion.we have the choose to chose what faith we follow.no matter what it is.everyone will never agree on one faith,one god,one religion.that,s what make our country so awsome we have the right to chose
    MADUKES402

Answer by MADUKES402 at 3:05 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• No. Which is why we have 1st Amendment--to protect religion and the government from each other (I thoroughly recommend the book Founding Faith on the matter of the beliefs and opinions of the founding fathers on this subject), and why the SCOTUS has applied the 14th amendments's equal protection clause to areas like school prayer and VA headstones, to protect individual rights from being infringed upon.

James Madison's original draft of the 1st amendment included this: the civil rights of none shall be abridged on account of religious belief or worship...nor shall the full and equal rights of conscience be in any manner, or on any pretext, infringed..."

I think many people that complain about lack of religion in schools, the government, etc, either don't know or have forgotten that many of their faiths were the most marginalized in Colonial America, and were SUPPORTERS of separation between church and state.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 8:28 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I agree with the answer by "thalassa". Other than that...my brain is getting too tired to sort things out, LOL. I think I need off CM now. :)
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 9:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Bandgeek said it best
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:57 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I couldn't put it any better than bandgeek did
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:04 AM on Jun. 8, 2011