In A Catholic Church

I just read a response in another question about the Catholic Church catching up with other denominations. Has anyone seen a jumbotron or television screen in a Catholic Church?

I think that would turn a few relatives in their graves. Seen this, heard of it? If you are Catholic would you be opposed to it?

vntNyll

Asked by vntNyll at 2:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not Catholic but I don't like the jumbotron in the church. IMO it takes away from the real reason you're there. This is why I attend a small back in the woods Baptist church.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I am Catholic. I don't understand the implication that Catholics need to "catch up" with other denominations as if there is a race or a competition. Personally, the electronic stuff in churches gives me a headache and I cannot attend those kinds of services. Even mine has a mass where the band is too loud. Different strokes for different folks. But mass has a certain format and I don't see how a screen would even fit into the liturgy.....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• No, I would not like that one bit.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:45 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I wouldn't like it, but really don't see it happening.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Not been in a Catholic church in years. I know a few people that would be upset by it.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I don't think there is room in most Catholic churches. Most Catholic churches offer so many masses on Sat. and Sun. and then those during the week, that everyone can find a good seat.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 2:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• IMO idepending on where the service is a Jumbotron is okay... If the congragation can't afford enough books for the followers to use then why would it be a problem its up to the indivual to comfirm what the are reading and hearing!
    o0luvlissa0o

Answer by o0luvlissa0o at 2:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• The one thing that sets Catholics apart from other denominations is why we attend church. It's not for the readings, it's not for the music or the fellowship. When you really get down to it, the whole purpose of a Divine Liturgy is to receive the body and blood of Christ in the Eucharist. I could possibly see a projector screen being used during a matins/vespers/hours type of service, but NEVER a Mass/Divine Liturgy. In our church (Byzantine Catholic) we don't even allow instruments or sounds system, only voices.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 4:05 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I haven't seen any. It wouldn't care for it, I'd probably find another church, but that's just me.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Wouldn't bother me one bit, i don't under stand the problem here... I'm Roman Catholic. Does go to show though just how caught up in technology we are these days and it is kind of sad when you think about it.
    cailynsmommy626

Answer by cailynsmommy626 at 5:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2011