Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

What can you do with a masters degree in psychology?

counselor, professor, researcher, what else?

Answer Question

Asked by Liz4Life at 2:48 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 17 (4,309 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • really good question. i was wondering the same thing!! maybe a school counselor or a psychologist??

    Answer by mrsary at 5:15 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

  • You cannot be a counselor in many states with only a masters degree in psychology, because they require a PhD, PsyD, or a "practical" degree like an MSW or MFT. You'd really have to check the rules in your state, though. Likewise, you can't be a professor without a PhD (although, perhaps at a community college). You can't be an independent researcher without a PhD, though you could work for one. Perhaps you could work in human resources? Job counseling (my aunt with a masters in psychology did this)?

    Answer by evwsquared at 7:14 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

  • job counseling would be cool...
    kinda strange since im the one having difficulty choosing a ironic!
    well, your right, you would need a practical degree
    i was very much consider obtaining an MFT :)

    Comment by Liz4Life (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

  • Now this is a funny question b/c it was me...I ended up doing 3 yrs teaching Pre-K 2 1/2 yrs being a caseworker of Catholic Community Services for Add/ADHD ODD KIDs and now I actually use it all the time in my Home based business with pre-Paid Legal services....

    Otherwise this day in age, with it alone, not mcuh..there is so much competition.

    Answer by Happymom2-2 at 10:25 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

  • Make a paper hat :)

    Answer by Opie99 at 1:31 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.