Tummy Time

My son is only 8 days old and his pediatrician wants me to start tummy time with him. Is this too soon for him? What is the best way to do tummy time for a 8 day old baby. I do have a boppy. How much tummy time should a 8 day old baby have?

soon2bmmy

Asked by soon2bmmy at 2:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ummm, can I not bump my own question to get answers that I need???
    soon2bmmy

Comment by soon2bmmy (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• No, you can't bump your own question. But it's not too soon - the younger you start tummy time, they easier it will be when they get older. At this age, just laying him on a blanket on the floor, and making sure his head is turned to the side, is enough, no boppy, no toys, just lay him down. I liked laying on the floor with mine once my stomach etc had healed a little better.
    Anonymous

• I thinkt he earlier the better as well!! I would prop him up with the boppy and read him a story, sing songs etc. I think 10-15 mins twice a day is what we did with little breaks in there, like I would pick up my ds and walk around the house for a bit every 5 mins or so.
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 4:31 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I did it for as long as my baby would stand it, which at that age was probably two seconds. Actually, for a newborn I think the best thing to do is to lay down on your back and put your baby on your chest on their tummy. Does that make sense? So that you are chest to chest. Most babies really prefer that to just being stuck on the floor on their tummy, and it still counts as tummy time. So I would do that for a few weeks, and then you can graduate to tummy time on a really colorful blanket once baby gets a little more movement and control. Even then, if you get baby to stay there for five minutes at a time without screaming you are doing a pretty good job, and you can just do it a few times a day to get up to the 10-15 minutes total.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:51 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• no i dont think its too early..and my doc said like an h1 a day it can be broken up into segments and things like that but as far as the best way with out a bobby pillow put a blanket on the floor and just laying him on the blanket just make sure his head is off to a side so he can breath..my dd had great head control was was able to lifet her head by the time we left the hosp..but good luck
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 5:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• When my sons were sent home from the nicu they told me to do tummy time with my twins. They aren't to young, this helps to develop neck strength and muscles. I would suggest doing it as often as possible with constant supervision.
    ajmcheath

Answer by ajmcheath at 8:25 PM on Jun. 2, 2011