How do you deal with a child who has ADHD and a learning disability who is stealing?

my10 year old son has ADHD and a learning disability and i recently got a call from school letting me know that he was caught stealing things from teachers. he has also stole money from a friend and denies that he took it. i'm at a loss as how to deal with this. any advice would be helpful.

singlemom776

Asked by singlemom776 at 2:53 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• Having a learning disability is NO excuse for stealing! At 10 years old he knows better and yo need to deal with him accordingly. That is very serious. You need to explain the consequences of such a serious offense and make him pay/give back what was taken. If he continues, he needs a serious punishment, however you discipline.
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I know with my ds (ADHD, autism) he has major impulse control issues. I assume it's the same with your ds. Maybe you could first start by using a social story about stealing and why it's bad! Then have extreme consequences if he steals. It could be losing a visit with a special person (my ds's is my parents house) or favorite toy or activity! I also suggest trying to find a counselor who could give you some tools to help manage his impulsiveness! Having a special needs child isn't for the faint of heart, that's for sure!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Undetected, try gradually "stealing" some of his own personal things! Choose items that you never intend to return and get rid of them completely(so they're not accidently found later). When it's noticed, use it as a tool to relate how he feels about it and how others feel when someone does it to them. Continue the processes until the connection's made and he stops.
    InquiringMind

Answer by InquiringMind at 1:41 AM on Jun. 4, 2011