Is anybody a veterinarian? question about dog's ear.

I have a question about my dogs ear. I have had dogs with an ear infection a lot of times and this isn't it. My 4 year old yellow lab has something going on in his right ear. the complete underside of his ear keeps cracking and turning red. It is also drying out badly! There is NOT an ear infection smell at all. I do have a bottle of preventative and treatment for ear infections that i use. But these symptoms have reoccurred 2 times in a couple months. Last time I first used A&D ointment to moisturize then the next few days i used an anti-fungal cream on the complete under-ear. It cleared up after about a week. Now its back. It seems to be like a skin yeast. Wondering am i treating it right and what can i do to keep it from happening again and why did this just start happening the last couple months? By the way it does itch but not hurt.
-No rude comments please. I am just asking here first because I dont want to spend a ton of money for my vet to tell me to do the same thing i am already doing which happens quite often.-

hotrodmomma

Asked by hotrodmomma at 2:58 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Pets

• puppyEczema maybe? I don't know, good luck and I hope no one bashes you. It's a good honest question!

Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 3:01 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• TI sounds like a chronic infection. It not having a smell make me wonder if it is bacteria rather than yeast... Try keeping it clean with a good ear cleaner 2x daily and using your yeast medication you already have following it also 2xD If it is not looking better in 5 days see a vet for some antibiotics.
    Anonymous

• There are differant types of ear infections so I would have the vet check him out.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Go to the vet,your dog needs an antibiotic.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I'm not a vet but i think you should take your dog to a vet!
    Smiley738

Answer by Smiley738 at 4:46 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• As a pp mentioned, there are different kinds of ear infections (I am not a vet, but I am a groomer) If there is no odor then it may be a bacterial infection. However, if it is looking yeasty it could very well be allergies, sometimes this will look just like a yeast infection but without odor. I would take him to the vet. If it is allergies they will most likely treat him with benedryle, but only they can give you the exact dose that your pup will need. In the mean time, clean his ear out with a cotton ball soaked in alcohol, this will dry up any of the water that may be trapped in there and get the wax out. If it is open and bleeding use a peroxide and water mix instead of the alcohol so it doesn't burn him. Do not pour this into his ear, just swab around with the cotton ball (fluid trapped in an ear will cause a yeast infection. I would stop using the anti-fungal it can burn, but the A&D won't hurt him.
    chaslee

Answer by chaslee at 7:22 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• It could be ear mites.
    Linds2Horse

Answer by Linds2Horse at 1:55 AM on Jun. 5, 2011