Not a question just a discussion .. about adhd and add

where do you think it came from? and when the earliest u can diagnose it? i was diagnosed it when i was 5 or 6 ...im 24 and STILL have it and when i was little they treated me like a lab rat .. they were mean and didnt understand me .. i was also diagnosed with petite mal seizures .. although i dont remember having them but i did remember having to go to the doc because i would not sleep soo they put suction cup thingys on my head and they tried to make me sleep and i couldnt ive been cat scanned and kinds of stuff i dont remember what it was all for.. my mother put me through all this and i was heavily medicated with riddlin and adderall and all other sorts of differents drugs .. i became soo thin my teeth would start to chip and ive fractured my wrist too ... and it was not easy growing up being picked on for being in special ed ... no one had patience with me .. i failed all my classes .. i dropped out and luckily got married and im now taken care of .. i still want to go back to scool and wish very much that i still could go back to hs ... i will go get my ged one day .. i wish they had a cure for add and adhd ... its horrible and we dont get any credit or sympathy for it .. unless you have it no one knows how bad it actually is .. you cant sleep at night, your name gets called out but you dont respond to it, you move and fidget all the time, your lazy, <-- or maybe thats me, you cant concentrate,get easily distracted and you dont understand things and i need stuff repeated allll the time!you blurt out random words,and you not always there, your forgetful, crabby and bad attitudes and many other stuff and i cant stand it i just wish i was NORMAL!!! im still medicated now i just started back up .. and im afriad my son will have it to hopefully not but if he does have it i will be patient with him and help him un like the people i was around when i was younger .. any ways i guess i wanted to get this out of my system ... anyone with add or have kids that have the disorder be patient with them and help them because when you yell or get mad at something they cannot control they will not have the courage and independence to get out there and make something of their selves .. and some people have it worse than others.. soo if u do have it how do you control it? or ur kids? anyone feel this way to?

Luckyme3487

Asked by Luckyme3487 at 3:16 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Health

• and sometimes i feel like im REALLLY not here ..like im mentally disabled.
    Luckyme3487

Comment by Luckyme3487 (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• ahh Mommy.. I'm so sorry. I was diagnosed at 30 with adhd but more in the lack of concentration area. I almost got held back a grade and all my teachers and mom kept telling me I wasn't applying my abilities which was not true - I can't read without REreading like 50 million times and by that time I've already become so frustrated and can't comprehend what I am trying to read anyway I stop - I see my now 3-1/2 year old with your symptoms.. Not sleeping, ALWAYS figgiting, can't focus or concentrate and I might at 4 have to take him to get a sleep study because he gets less sleep than an adult.. we are trying now to take out all the processed foods and dyes and high fructose out of his diet but he's also lactose intolerant and soy intolerant.. I hear they can't diagnose until school age for Adhd but this terrifes me also - I am so sorry I know it was a struggle for me but not nearly what you have gone through.. terrible disease!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:25 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My son was 4 when diagnosed. They said they wouldnt medicate. I said BS. His meds just help him sleep.....
    surfgrl60

Answer by surfgrl60 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I also have depression and anxiety and social anxiety and my DH is not much further from what I have.. I feel my son will be the genetic waste dump for all we have as a mini family.. I really debated all of this before we tried having a child also!~ :( I hope for a second we will be able to help him if he ever needs it and hope he doesn't end up drugged up and hurting inside like you feel.. I feel like I am not there most of the time so I can relate.. Hugs and love Mama!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:27 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• surfgr.. what are the meds they gave him that help him sleep? We've tried about every natural approach and heavy blanket and fragerance and nothing is working.. melatonin made him nuts that was horrrible.. I am at a loss.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• thank you max'x mom finally someone who knows what it feels like! i wish there was really a cure! goodluck to you and your son and i hope for the best :) BIG HUgS!
    Luckyme3487

Comment by Luckyme3487 (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I was able to rid my son of his ADHD diagnosis using a biomedical approach (vitamin/mineral supplementation and specialized diet ... no meds). I studied this subject to death for nearly 15 years in hopes of finding a way to help my child. My research and experiences have convinced me that ADHD is biological in nature, not neurological as is the mainstream thinking. I'm sorry you've gone through this and I understand the impatience of teachers and administrators ... I've had more than my share of them in my face about my son and each and every one of them told me that he'd be a failure in life and that I was a failure as a mother because I refused to medicate. Shows what little they know ... he graduates high school tomorrow and is starting college in the fall. I believe ADHD is one of the most misunderstood and mistreated "disorders" (though I hate that term) out there. I hope you find some real answers to help you out.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 3:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• i heard the disorder is in the brain and doesnt function as well as other without it
    Luckyme3487

Comment by Luckyme3487 (original poster) at 4:07 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My df and oldest son both have ADHD. My df has adult ADHD (obviously). My df was diagnosed with it when he was only 4 years old. They noticed from a young age that something was different about him. He would sit there with keys and swing them around in his hands constantly, and his grandpa ended up making him his own set of play keys (alhough they were real keys) to swing around and fiddle with because he HAD to have his hands busy. He struggled through school his whole life and didn't graduate. He's having to go the GED route as well. MANY people with ADD/ADHD don't graduate, or barely do. My df is prescribed Adderall XR, and it helps him a lot, but he hates taking it because he can barely eat when he's on it, and he can't sleep. It also makes him crabby and snappy with people. He wants to go to college really bad, but he's nervous about being able to focus. I'm going to have to continue this on a second reply lol. Hold on...
    Kaybean

Answer by Kaybean at 5:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Anyway, he says it causes his mind to think about a million different things at a time, he sometimes interrupts people or says things without thinking, he sometimes has to get up and walk around for a min just because he can't sit still and he says he doesn't know how to explain it, but his mind "works differently than everyone elses." He says he can read people really well and thinks way outside of the box because his brain thinks differently. The thing is, he's very smart. He also has a great personality, and gets along with others really well. My oldest son was just diagnosed with it 7 months ago. His K teacher said he had trouble focusing, then his 1st grade, 2nd grade and 3rd grade teachers did too, so we finally brought him in and we didn't put him on meds right away. We tried a high omega 3 and protein diet and after a month of that, we turned to a low does of Adderall and its made a night and day difference for him.
    Kaybean

Answer by Kaybean at 5:39 PM on Jun. 2, 2011