Fever for five days...

Okay so my son has had a temp of 100.? for almost five days now. We went to the doctors day before yesterday and were told he has a bacteria infection in his sinuses. They have him a script. and sent him home. I can't get him to eat. He's had half a biscut and a bite of a icepop for three days. He only drinks about half a cup a day. And his temp WILL go down to 98.8 between fever redoser but if we miss a dose it goes right back up. What I'm wondering is, should I take him back in? Or is it normal for a bacteria infection to cause his temp to run like that?

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 3:38 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• can do fever patchs for kids that are be cool patchs for fever, he does not liquids so try to push that with things like gatorade, popslices, jello,pediatye,7up. as for the eating I would be worry about that as well. Might try things like mashed pts, pudding, yougat, ensure kids drinks. If in doubt I would take him back in. Since moms know best when their kids are not right and eating like usual. I know cause my girl was running a temp for about a week and no one could figure it out and finally sent her to a childrens doctor and finally the 4th doctor she saw found the problem and was mrsa under her arm the whole time. So try fluids, soft foods, but if in doubt go back to the doctor.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Give him Pedialyte.. and they have "fever patches" at Walmart or CVS.. They are non-medicated and you can just put in on his forehead and it takes the fever away almost instantly. They have blue jell on one side that has a plastic cover.. you just peel the cover off and it sticks to their head.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:43 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I would take him back in. At this point, dehydration can be playing with his temp, as well. Have them check him out . . .and make sure that he does not need IV fluids of some sort.

Sorry mama .. I hope he feels better soon.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:43 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• if they did not give him antibiotic then it is normal but they should give him something for the infection he can not keep going with the fever and without eating
    roxy0522

Answer by roxy0522 at 3:43 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I'd call the doctor and just ask, before you pack him up and take him in :) GL hope he feels better soon, for your sake too!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My Son is 4 & just recently got over a sinus infection & he did run a low grade fever for about a week. But he ate & drank regularly. That is very important. Can you entice your son to drink more? Does he like juice or fruit pops? Take an ice tray & fill it with fruit juice then freeze it. Maybe if you put some ice juice cubes in a glass of water with a straw he'll drink more? Whatever he likes to eat the best, give it to him. If he continues not to drink or eat & becomes dehydrated call back the Pediatrician. Keep as much fluids going in him as you can. that will help lower the fever too. Hope he feels better soon. I know how you feel, I would rather me be sick then my Son :(
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:45 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My son did this for 4 days recently except it would rocket up to 104 - I would go to the Dr, get sent home with " alternate meds every 4 to 6 hours" his fever would go down but once the meds would wear off instantly rocket right back up - he wasn't eating much either but as long as he was drinking drinks with calories they weren't worried.. like gatorade slushie or V8 watered type juice with calories and electrolytes.. I was on the phone with the Dr's for every day because 104 is high for crying out loud and always got sent home.. so.. being it is 100, I would say just do your best to keep him hydrated, not worry so much about the solid foods but give him calorie liquids.. good luck. hope he feels better
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Well they gave him a ten day perscription to knock out the infection. It has his throat swollen so I am thinking thats why he isnt eating. I just dont like giving him sooo much medicine if theres something else we can do to end it quicker. Ya know?
    MommaWoods

Comment by MommaWoods (original poster) at 3:48 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• perhaps the fever reducer is interfering with the body's natural ability to fight illness.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:23 PM on Jun. 2, 2011