What is the proper way for an adult child to introduce a step parent to others?

lisac124

Asked by lisac124 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• This is my step-mom/step-dad
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:40 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• How ever the child refers to the step parent is how they should be introduced. Does the child call the step parent by their first name? Then it could be, this is Jane, my dad's wife. Or if they refer to the step parent as mom or dad, I would say this is my mom.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Depends. This is my step-mom/dad, [insert name here]. The child should continue to call his/her step-parent whatever they already do (mom/dad, first name etc) and anyone else can call them by their first name.
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My husband always introduced his stepmom as "Mary, my father's wife" because she really was never a step-mom to him because he lived with his bio mother after his parents split up and never lived with his dad/step-mom.
    Anonymous

• I say "this is my Lissa." :) But "This is my stepmom/stepdad" is good too
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 3:49 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• "This is my father's wife" works fine.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My mother introduced her father and step mother this way - This my father, Roger and his wife Waver. If asked, she would state that it was her step mother as they didn't get married until after my mother and her two brothers were in their 40s.
    I was in high school and called her only by her first name as she asked us to.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• It depends on the role they play in your life. If my mother were to get married now, I would introduce him as my mother's husband. But when she got married when I was 13, I called him my stepfather, because he had a role of authority...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:07 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• If the SP became the SP while the person was a child then they should say this is my SM/SD, insert name here. But if they married the parent AFTER they became and adult then "this is my mom/dad's husband/wife, insert name here.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 11:01 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I say this is my mom becki or my dad danny! or i say this is my other mom or dad, guess it depends how close u are to that stepparent
    carol00

Answer by carol00 at 12:42 AM on Jun. 9, 2011