What does it take to be a PTO mom?

i just registered my son for school (he starts kindergarten this year) and i ran into a group of women who i assume were PTO moms. they were standing in a group in the office discussing the plans for the fall festival. i have been dreaming of being a PTO mom, but i took one look at those women...and i thought they might eat me alive. they looked extremely rich, snobby, and much older than me (26). any PTO moms here? what does it take and how can i get in the loop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in

• I was a PTO mom for years, all it takes is signing up. Call your son's school and ask when they do PTO sign ups. It's actually pretty hard to get PTO moms in many cases, so I'm sure your help will be welcomed (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:21 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• If you are that insecure then you will not make a very good pto mom.

It takes nothing but a willingness to work WITH others, a willingness to help out, a little time (as much or as little as you have to give), and a GOOD attitude.

It is the easiest or hardest job you will have depending on what YOU bring to the table

I have been involved in ptos for 14 yrs and the women who ROCK are the ones who are hard workers, creative thinkers, active, optimistic, and GET ALONG WITH OTHERS.

The ones that really ruin the whole pot and give it a bad name are the ones who are cliquish and the ones who are insecure. And it is the insecure ones that cause the MOST issues because they cant just get along they have to worry about every single little issue and is this person going to like me, or is this person better than me, etc.

Anonymous

• Anon, there's no reason to be rude or yell, it was a simple question. Geez
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I didnt yell... and I honestly didnt mean to be rude.

I will admit however to having an issue with weak women. I have to say the ops comment about " they looked extremely rich, snobby, and much older than me " is a hot spot with me and bugs the beegeebers out of me.

EVERY issue I have dealt with on the pto with women not getting along stems from something JUST like that. One woman all worked up thinking the other one is 'better and looking down on her'.

HOnestly... Im sorry if it came off rude.
    BUT DONT EVER PUT YOURSELF DOWN. STAND UP AND BE WHO YOU ARE. People will like you or they wont but that is on them. Go in and help...EVERYONE has value.
    Anonymous

• Call the school and ask how you can volunteer for PTO. Find out when the meetings are and then attend. At our school we always are needing more volunteers. Good luck.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:39 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• At the beginning of the year, they always send home forms for you to fill out to join the PTA with opportunities for volunteers listed on them. Just volunteer for several of the committees (the best way to get to know people) and get involved. I was a "young mom" when my oldest started school and I still am one of the youngest when I do things at his school, but it doesn't matter. Sometimes they tease me about not remembering certain things (like the 70s!), but it's good natured and light hearted. Finances matter some around here as everything costs money. The PTA funds cover some of it, but those of us that are involved pitch in more of our own money than I think a lot of people realize - however, that's not mandatory, just something we do because we can.

Answer by missanc at 9:41 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• anon, i don't think you were rude. i am not weak. those women just really intimidated me. for one thing, i walked into the office and gave them a big smile...and they paused long enough to look me up and down and then ignore me. this is my first year dealing with school. i would never go and grumble about this to them. that's why i came here. i wanted the low down on what being a pto mom is all about. i appreciate your perspective, and i will take it to heart. i also appreciate the rest of you and your encouragement.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:58 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Call the school and ask how you can volunteer for PTO. Find out when the meetings are and then attend. At our school we always are needing more volunteers. Good luck
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 5, 2011