Clean (or dirty) swimming pool water....question....

How long after you fill a swimming pool can you continue to get in it without treating it? Our pool was filled on may 31 and we swam in it shortly afterwards but hadn't added any clorine. It still has not been treated and the kids want to get in. Dh says it will be fine for a week after but I'm not so sure. We ran the filter last night and today but no clorine added. Ok to swim or not?

christina259

Asked by christina259 at 4:13 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Health

• How does the water look? If it's green and the sides are slimey I would not go in until it's sanitized with Chlorine. You could all get a roaring infection and/or rash. If it's clear then go in.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:15 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• don't you have a water test kit? i agree that if it is not green it will be fine.
    there exists a filter that makes it possible to have a chlorine free pool!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I would say it just depends on how the water looks. If it is clear go for it but if it is cloudy or green I would wait and shock it or get a salt water chlorinater.

We are setting our pool up now. We just bought a new sand filter (YAY!!!!!) to help keep the water cleaner. Last year we brilliantly bought the salt water chlorinater and I promise you, we never had to add a thing to it. Last year everybody we knew had problems with algae except us!!!
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 5:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• You can also get a kit that lets you test the water. Idk if you have alot of people using it, I'd want to make sure it was clean. I'd probably treat it. You never know who peed in the pool, lol!!!
    phoenixstar

Answer by phoenixstar at 6:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• thanks everyone! we had fun today. I'd like to eventually get a saltwater system or sand. The less work the better. I'm busy enough already so I'm hoping that will make for less upkeep.
    christina259

Comment by christina259 (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I would get a sanitizing treatment system or application of some kind asap. Just because the water is clear doesn't mean there is no bacteria in it. Most testers don't test for bacterial contamination either - just the chlorine, acid balance, etc. You could have birds (or other 'guests') visiting your pool in the early morning, leaving undetected contaminates. Be safe. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 9:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I can't speak for the sand filter yet (although I have high hopes) but the I do know for a fact that the chlorinator more than paid for itself last season alone. Like I said, I never had to add a thing to my water.

Really hoping the sand filter will be more powerful and able to keep the water cleaner. The paper filters, we were replacing two or three a day (or cleaning them). We had a lot of problems with frog eggs clogging up the paper filters also. I have at least $50 worth of paper filters sitting on my back porch that I held onto from the end of last season sooo I am thinking the sand filter may pay for itself this season or next season.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:13 PM on Jun. 2, 2011