How can I get my daughter to let my son sleep?

She just turned 3. Every time my 10 month old lays down for a nap she gets loud. I mean... she's always loud, lol, she's 3, but I can't keep her quiet enough to let the baby sleep. She tries, but she's just not able to hold out for longer than 10 or 15 minutes, and honestly, that's kind of amazing lol.

Any tips?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• You could try cooking fun things together and continue WITH her help as long as she's quiet or without her help if she's becomes loud. I'd stick with mini-sized cookies or cupcakes and then use them as a counting tool to bag-up and freeze(i.e...ask her to place four in one bag, maybe six in another and so on). Try making a "tent" out of sheets or blankets, climb in and read together with a flashlight, decorate with glow-in-the-dark stars or project ViewMaster cards on the wall for as long as she's quiet. Don't keep giving her warnings, if she becomes loud just instantly quit the project with a simple explanation as to why. You might say: "When you're a big girl, we won't have to stop playing so soon because you'll know to be quite."
    InquiringMind

Answer by InquiringMind at 2:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Can you not use the baby's nap time for some one-on-one with your daughter? She might eventually realize that the quieter she is, the longer the baby will sleep and the more time she has just with you! Use the time to jump start her education. Read to her, do counting games and begin learning the alphabet and accompanying sounds. It's a "win-win" situation for you all!
    InquiringMind

Answer by InquiringMind at 1:23 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I like that idea... but she's just a loud kid lol. She has to be active and running and jumping. She can handle about 10 minutes of learning time and then she wants to wrestle or "play dead" or ride her tricycle or have a tea party... all of which become loud very quickly. But I will keep trying! Maybe coloring, followed by flash cards, followed by reading, etc etc.
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 1:26 AM on Jun. 4, 2011