Tweens/ teens with phones in class

I have a handful of 12- 15 year olds as friends on Facebook. Cousins, nieces, etc. There are a few of them who constantly update their FB statuses and have other activity on their during class times. They will post things like "Board in class" not only showing that they aren't paying attention but that they really REALLY need to be. LOL After their status updates you will see a long thread of classmates responding. It's ridiculous. I am thinking about calling the office and ratting them all out every time I see it. lol Each of these kids have their parents as FB friends but I'm willing to bet that they block their statuses from them.

What is your child's school policy on phones? What is your policy as their parent? If you knew they were texting and FBing during class would you take the phone? I am surprised one of the kids I know is allowed to take hers to school at all. She is failing most of her 7th grade classes due to lack of work getting done! She wouldn't have a phone if she were mine.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• print it out and show it to her mom... let her deal with it.
    Anonymous

• When I sub I don't care if the kids have their cell phones out as long as their work is done. I know teachers who will allow ipod touches but not celll phones. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My child won't have a phone period until he can pay for it himself. Even if he did he would not be taking it to class. I can understand where it could come in handy in case of emergency situations but he'd have to maintain an A average to even have a phone.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 4:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Our school's (high school) policy states that kids can have cell phones in school but that they are to be turned off. If a kid is caught texting in class, the phone gets taken away by the school for a week. If it happens again, there is a fine (around $100) to get the phone back. The kids rarely get caught though; I've seen my son's friends able to text with their phones in their pockets and not even looking.
    Anonymous

• I think you should talk to the parents first. Maybe they don't know that their kids are doing this during class. In our school, the policy is that if they see anyone in the classroom or on the school grounds using a cell phone they the cell phone away for the rest of the year! The parents of the few kids whose cell phones have been taken away don't like it and fight it, but we hardly see anyone using their phones. I know a lot of kids have them, but they hide it in their backpacks. Do the schools where you live have a cell phone policy?
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 4:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Stay out of it. Not your child. Not your business.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:45 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I hate to seem rude but why do you care? They're not hurting anything/anyone. My nieces are always writing things that surprise me but as long as they're not in danger to themselves or others i say Live and Let Live.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 4:52 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Our district has a no tolerance policy on cell phones. It is made clear at the beginning of the year that if a child is caught with a cell phone in class, the phone will be taken away and returned at the end of the school year. It's a rather effective way to keep parents and children on board with the policy.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 4:55 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Our school also has a no tolerance policy. If a child is caught with a phone in class, it gets taken away and only returned to a parent. My policy on cell phones? My son can get one when he can pay for it, just like I did. My nieces have cell phones and all the texting is ridiculous. It's like they can't function without that phone in their hand.

nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 5:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• tsk tskPhones should not be used in class! Kids do not realize the importance of education until they missed it by being on their phone the whole time! Parents should understand where teachers are coming from and that they have the kids best interest at heart! It may not be the teachers business because it is not their kid per se- yet parents should be thrilled they have a teacher who cares enough that their kids is learning!!!!

cheapsally

Answer by cheapsally at 5:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2011