Is mil being nice or not nice?

On Memorial Day my husband decided not to celebrate by barbequing and jsut worked on his father bill for business. We later barbequed for ourselves. We live next door. For the half past couple of days my hubby has been barbequing except for yeaterday. SO mil calls andsays are you going to put stuff on the grill? I said what do you need? Oh nothing I cooked pasta and sauce. Is my son coming home late? I don't know I answered. Oh well then send your son later when I call to say that it is ready. I said ok, I was going to make veal cutlets. Oh, but you don't have pasta , that is the complete meal. WTH? My son said he thinks they are angry that we did not invite them for a barbeque. The reason is because his sister who is 43 never helps and leaves as soon as she is done eating! His mom can not see that great so she never helps out and I am stuck with my husband cooking and cleaning like servants....What do you think???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Relationships

• Wasn't able to follow the story but it sounds like the 'problem' isn't too serious and could easily be worked out with some clear communication.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:56 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Im sorry Im totally lost in your story.
    Anonymous

• before reading the story i thought i should say...i think he is being not nice since you wanted to ask us here on cafemom...
    if he was being nice i don't think u would post! ok ima read it now..
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 4:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• If you invite someone to dinner why do expect them to help? If you want help, you need to ask.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I'm confused too but why does she say my, your son. That's weird, I'd call them by their names.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 4:45 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• ok now that i read it...
    i would be upset too if i wasn't invited...part of having a party is knowing you will have to clean it up!!!
    and most likely she took it as....well i guess my daughter in law doesn't like me (she probably did not think it was because she can't see and doesn't clean well)
    im a little confused but i hope i got this right.
    when you go to a party do you think the guests should be expected to clean up and if they don't they shouldn't be invited?
    it sounded like your mil was trying to help!!! she made pasta to go with your veal cutlets to make a whole meal!!!! that is so nice of her!! it could be seen as an insult to the cook but the more food the merrier right? the meat alone would have been fine but she figured you all are ONE family and can work together. i think u have a problem with her more than she does with you. sorry!
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 4:52 PM on Jun. 2, 2011