I'm still figuring out what i want to be when i grow up!

im 22, so atleast im still young and im only 9 classes away from graduating with my bachelor's degree in psychology.
most of my friends are graduating in two weeks but that's ok.
so i wanted to be a nurse....i even took ALL the prerequisites which is the reason I am 9 classes behind.
then all the sudden i had a change of heart and wanted to open a daycare for kids
what the heck!
it truly is what my heart says, but it's so nerve wracking!
at least i wasn't in the nursing program when this hit me so hard, so there's an upside...
but how do i tell my family? they really wanted me to be a nurse
now, i will just seem unsure of myself. it's ok to feel this way right?
is it normal?
i was so headed in the nursing direction, i even volunteer at the hospital, now i just have to start a whole new path!
anyone else ever go through this?

Liz4Life

Asked by Liz4Life at 5:04 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• Tell them that you are "pivoting" your career from taking care of sick children/adults to taking care of children who may be in need of a nurse one day. Go with your heart, but make sure that it's what you really want. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• u are ahead of me.... i am 27 and just figured out I want to pursue History since i love it so. Began classes a couple weeks ago to get started on obtaining a BS in History!!!
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 5:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I'm 25 and I've changed my major 3 times now. I'm still 2 years away from graduating with a BS, while some of my freinds are getting PhDs and Masters. Do what makes you happy, even if it takes a few tries to get it right.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 5:25 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I am rethinking my answer......do you mean open a public daycare or one in your home? The reason I ask is because their are requirements for those as well. Either way, you have to be licensed thru the state and have some business sense. What do you think your biggest obstacles would be?
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:26 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• It's normal to be torn between several things. You can have many interests but need to zero in on what would be fulfilling as a career. You could call a few daycare centers and ask if you can visit and tell them why you are asking. You could even volunteer for a few days. GL!
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• thanks everyone! i have my 12 ece credits and used to work at a daycare but i got bored....thats why i took up nursing...but i dont think i would get bored if I was running the show!
    i would like an IN-home daycare. i dont mind requirements and i do have a business sense:)
    lets see....my biggest obstacle would be getting a house in the first place because im still in collage and my SO and I live at my parents...
    seems like i would need a career first to get enough money first THEN start a daycare
    Liz4Life

Comment by Liz4Life (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Just tell them what you told us. They love you and will support you. I can tell you running a daycare is HARD and there is not much money in it and TONS of work. I have something that could help you get where you want to be...message me if you are interested.
    Good Luck and God Bless!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 8:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Your family loves you and will understand that you may decide on several different things before finding your true nitch. They want you to be happy with your career. Don't go into nursing if you are not called to do so...No one likes a grumpy nurse...Believe me, I've had a few. No fun.
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 12:39 AM on Jun. 3, 2011