Respect

If you feel that your religious (and/or spiritual) beliefs deserve respect, why do you feel that they do?

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 5:08 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Honestly, no I don't feel my personal beliefs deserve respect from anyone but me. Why should they? They are part of my heart, not theirs. If they ask my feelings on something, I would expect they respect me enough to listen to me. But they can disagree and don't have to respect my answers at all.
    We can a respecful discussion on beliefs, but that doesn't mean they need to respect my beliefs themselves.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• ALL beliefs deserve respect no matter how different they are from yours.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Why don't they? Why should we disrespect something just because we do not agree. Its like saying that you shouldn't respect a stranger because you do not know them.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:20 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I think it's good manners and the polite way to live in society. I work with people of varying faiths, and while I don't share their beliefs, I show enough respect not to argue their faith or completely ignore it.

One coworker doesn't eat pork and fasts part of the year, another doesn't eat beef and eats vegetarian parts of the week. I order food for the team every few months, so I am considerate to ask about their dietary needs out of respect for their faith.

I don't have any religious beliefs myself, but I would expect them to show the same courtesy if I did.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:51 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• People use the word respect when they mean common courtesy. Respect is of a higher order, and it is earned. Courtesy is the neutral state of not going out of your way to piss someone off.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:36 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Thats like saying.. why respect someone because they are a different color than you...
    why respect them if they do anything different than you..
    Religion/faith is a big part of most people. It is what they believe.
    Do you disrespect those that believe/dont believe in ghost just because u do/dont?.. believe in aliens?...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:27 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I believe everyone deserves respect, that includes their beliefs, their race, their family, their backgroud, their job, whatever. I respect the person as a whole, and all that goes with it, until that person proves they deserve no respect.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 5:34 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Because beliefs make up a large part of who a person is. You can say that they don't, but they DO. We interpret our faith based on who we are, how we think, etc. Our worldview is a large part of who we are, our consciousness, the very idea of what makes us "us" is defined by how we think, what we believe, who we are in relation to others, etc.

I believe it's very important to respect people's beliefs. Though we've already hashed this out before, though, and my answer hasn't changed.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I think you should respect people and their right to their beliefs. Their actual beliefs however do not automatically deserve respect. I don't respect the beliefs of neo-nazis, Westboro, etc.
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 7:31 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I agree. When religion is concerned, some people have a hard time not taking it personal when someone questions their beliefs. Like you said, you may think the belief is stupid and they in turn think you call them stupid. I try not to take things said personal. Comments like "I dont understand how anyone can believe the bible" doesn't offend me because I understand that it is not something that comes easy as humans. It's just not how our minds generally work, to believe something unseen and unproven. But some will get offended that the comment implies they are stupid or gullible. Unless directly told i, as a person, am stupid or whatever I usually don't take offense. And if I did, I would have enough sense to stay out of this section where things will be questioned to death LOL.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 7:39 PM on Jun. 2, 2011