Stroke

A close family member is 82 and had a massive stroke a week ago. He suffered one about 7 years ago and lost his ability to speak. Now, he is non-responsive and rarely if ever opens his eyes. He has been hospitalized since the stroke a week ago.

He has a feeding tube since he cannot eat, sit up, walk, and is unresponsive.

We have him in our prayers, but the doctors and nurses are saying that the prognosis doesn't appear positive.

Do you think he has a chance of survival? And if he does survive, will he be in this type of state the rest of his life?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Health

• Hi. So sorry to hear about your loved one. My grandma had a massive stroke at around the same age. She hadn't had a previous one however. Afterwards she too was hospitalized, and the Dr.s said she had no brain activity. She passed away in the hospital. It was so hard to lose her, but to see her with major brain damage and not able to be herself would have been aweful. She wouldn't want to live that way. I will always miss her, but I keep her memories in my heart. I am glad for the time we had, and that she didn't suffer for years. I have volunteered at a nursing home, and it is so sad to see people who are very old and are still alive but miserable. This loved one of yours probably has been hating what the first stroke did to their life, and although it's hard for those who are left behind I think they probably would not want to keep going on machines. Remember the good times and treasure them. So sorry to hear this...
    phoenixstar

Answer by phoenixstar at 5:55 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I'm sorry, I didn't really answer your question. Technology has changed alot in regard to strokes, and if caught early they can do alot more now then they once could. I really hope the best for your loved one. They may pull through, it depends on so many factors. The previous stroke probably doesn't help. You said they couldn't talk for the last 7 years. Were they happy? Alot of times we want to hold onto our loved ones, sometimes the right thing to do is to let them know it's ok to go. Sometimes they hang on for their loved ones, even when they are suffering. I have seen a woman told by her son " It's ok to go mom, go be with dad..." and the woman passed on the same night after years of hanging on and being miserable. May God be with you and your loved ones during this time.
    phoenixstar

Answer by phoenixstar at 6:01 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Thank you for your kind words....I appreciate it very much. God bless.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:19 PM on Jun. 2, 2011