I noticed people in general were nicer to me when I was thinner

I used to be size 4/5 never having weight issues until I got on a medication 8 years ago - now its been a horrible battle losing 10 here, then gained 13 back etc.. now I am about.. 40 lbs over weight- size 12 and I can really notice the difference on how people treat me.. I am sure some of it has to do with my own self esteem or how I carry myself but I try not to dress frumpy and still am active with my son and try to talk to other parents or people while we are out and man, people really WERE nicer to me when I was thin.. it is sad realization and although I am currently making the attempts to lose weight by running, walking and eating better.. I feel like lets just say I do get back to an average weight - I don't even want to be friendly to people out there who wouldn't want to talk to me fat.. I am really just venting but it does suck that its THAT noticeable of a change in how you get treated..thanks for letting me vent for a moment lol!~

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 5:22 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I used to be rail thin. Then I went on meds for a while and gained a good bit of weight. Went off the meds b/c we wanted to start a family. Got prego...gained 65 more pounds. Got prego again...added more weight on. I kept all this extra weight on for about 3 years. I did not realize how differently I was being treated until I started losing the weight. I have lost a great deal of it and all of a sudden I did notice people treating me much better. I get mad when I think about it. I actually would like to call a couple people on the carpet about it...but what would I say? "You're a big fake jerk?" LOL!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• So I've been losing weight, and I know I have a heck of a lot more friends than I used to and I feel like I get along with people better than I used to. But I think a lot of that has to do with my mind change though. I'm a lot happier than I used to be, and a lot more willing to try new things... or things that scare me ie) meeting new people.

Anyway I'm not saying that's entirely it. It is possible that weight plays a part in it. I just think it's more the way we feel about ourselves. And for the record size 12 is NOT big. Maybe not the size you used to be, but trust me there are people out there a whole lot bigger. I started my weight loss journey barely fitting into a size 24... now that's big.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 9:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Yup.. I agree.
    I use to be a good size (never tiny/small) about a size 8 or so..
    But I gained ALOT of weight the last 10yrs & am now 220lbs..
    People look at you different. Treat you different.

When I was skinny, people where nice. i got attention. good stares/looks from guys..
    Now that Im fat im not noticed/ignored more. but judged & know that they are looking at me, just in a negative way...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:00 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I feel exactly the same way. I'll be nice to you!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• OMG I know how that feels! I use to be size 3 and now that I am a bit bigger I am treated completely different.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:38 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Yep. I was much smaller a few years back bt have gained a substantial amount of weight. People do treat us differently.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:05 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• you know I'm a very happy person and I don't get that !! I'm not skinny at all size 18 and proud of it !! I look people in the eye and smile say hi and I get noticed and in a very positive way I really do believe that it's all in how you perceive yourself !!! my DH is wonderful and drop dead gorgeous I'm sure people especially females think WTH is he doing with her!! but you know I look at it this way I treat him great He comes home to me every night we have a wonderful relationship and we are completely in love let me let you in on my secret Our Home is clean everything is organized I'm a sahm and I make this a place where he wants to be not a place where he's worried about what I'm going to grip about tonight !! and ya'll have alot to do with it if I'm upset I vent to my CM Mommies if I'm sad I watch a sad movie and cry a littleĀ I let myself have a full scale of emotions just not taking them out on my kids or my DH

traren

Answer by traren at 8:22 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• i went to a fashion show recently. I am mid 50s and wear a size 6-8, so fairly decent shape. These models at the event were anorexic- THAT is who defines us, ladies- Anorexic models. I could not pull off1 of the outfits they were wearing. Even my 23 y.o., size 0 daughter could not wear those clothes as she is 5-1. These ladies were all tall and stick skinny- Not healthy looking at all.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:19 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Never been treated different because of my weight, but I've been treated totally different when I've had a dress on vs. a pair of pants. Pants were not frumpy or anything like that....but I'm totally treated different when I'm in a dress, so much so that I'm thinking of wearing dress/skirts all the time.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:03 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Its a sad world we live in were people are judged so harshly because of their weight and glamorized because they are rail thin.
    alboston

Answer by alboston at 9:04 PM on Jun. 2, 2011