Congestive heart failure and diet?

My Mr. Wonderful has had two heart attacks before the age of 35 and is constantly at risk for more. He is 6'3 and 190lbs, works in a factory 5 days a week 8 hours a day. His condition runs in the family and took his grandfather's life in 1983.

We have both been under quite a bit of stress as of late and he mentioned that he is having chest pains that are beginning to worry him. Scary!

Should I stick the family on a more strict diet to try to prevent him from having a 3rd heart attack.. will that even help at this point? We eat pretty well as is but will it help?

Clearly we are seeking medical help from a doctor but the next appointment is over two weeks away due to his crappy medical insurance and who accepts it.

I did google and try to find a correct answer but everything I was looking up was post heart-attack talking about a recent event not a precaution with his condition.

Anyone know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Health

• The DASH diet is likely the best option for him.  Here's a link with the basics.  The DASH diet is recommended for anyone with any kind of cardiac issues, and it emphasizes a diet primarily of fruits and veggies.  He needs to get active and get rid of trans- and saturated fats.  Get rid of any processed foods in his diet.  The excess sodium is terrible for him, and fresh foods have much needed potassium, which also helps to lower blood pressure.  He needs to be STRICT about his diet and exercise.  No one can control hereditary factors, so all you can focus on are lifestyle factors.  No smoking or drinking, reducing stress (even yoga would be good).  Good luck!

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Thank you! I'll look at those as well as any others that may come up. I don't want to lose him anytime soon!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Definitely. The nutrition clinics I've worked in have always recommended the DASH diet for anyone with cardiac problems.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• when he finally gets in to see his doctor - ask about whether he should be tested for sleep apnea - it's often present when someone has both CHF and heart attacks.... does he snore really loudly and make like a gagging sound sometimes?
    AllAboutHealthy

Answer by AllAboutHealthy at 3:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• He doesn't snore or make any noise at all actually, I had apnea for a while after surgery but he isn't showing any signs of that thankfully
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:38 PM on Jun. 9, 2011