How do you handle lying??

I have an 8 yr. old who constantly lies! Even if it is something so simple that he knows the answer can easily be found out!! He is more like a habitual liar!! I don't get it!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't know. They lie often because of fear of telling the truth. Fear of getting in trouble. Try reverse psychology. Niceness. Understanding...See if it works. Go for a little while without getting mad and see if he starts telling the truth. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. It's worth a shot.
    Anonymous

• Let him know how the lying hurts you. It hurts you that you cant trust him. Call him on every single time he lies as well as when he tells the truth. Have you asked him why he lies? Is he afraid of telling the truth?
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 12:14 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• First try writing sentences about not lying, like 100 of them. if that doesnt work try making him run up and down stairs or up and down the street. you have to break the defiance down. so you can establish trust and respect again.
    MommaToJames

Answer by MommaToJames at 7:12 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Soap or hotsauce. Didn't kill me and won't kill them. They need to have the punishment fit the crime and associate with their mouth. Do it once, and they don't lie again. This WAS a very big problem in our house....not anymore!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 12:12 AM on Dec. 11, 2008