I'm not pregnant but I was wondering. Can you refuse a C-Section?

Statistics obviously show that by doctors trying to force labors on and other things result in this and a lot of times it's not even needed. If you had that mommy instinct that your doctor was that type of person and that you could have the baby vaginally are you allowed to refuse it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• yeah and i plan on it. unless it is MEDICALLY needed, either because something is wrong with me or the baby, i will not have one and my doctor knows this as well.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 5:29 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Yes, women can refuse treatment or procedures. However, there have been cases when Judges have been contacted and c/s were court ordered. It's sad, especially since they are usually bullied into the cascade of interventions that lead to the "needed" c/s.
    Anonymous

• yes you can refuse it...if there isnt a real medical emergency that requires it then theres no problem saying NO to the dr....for example: if the baby is too big to have or the heartbeat changes dramatically....i understand that would be the time to do the c section..but some of the other reasons that drs come up with i dont understand...i think alot of drs try to do whats more convienient for them not the baby and mom
    angel_lips

Answer by angel_lips at 5:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• i was dead set on not having one but sadly at 42 weeks they induced and even if i went into labor on my own my baby had to be taken c-section... we had no idea she was 11 lbs she absolutely couldnt fit. so i couldnt refuse. but yes if its not absolutely an emergency than you do what you want.
    angelbabies14

Answer by angelbabies14 at 6:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Yes, but your best bet in preventing this scenario is to ask your Dr./hospital what their c-section stats are. A normal stat should be around 10-15%. If your docs. are above this, you need to find someone else. You can hire a labor support person (doula) or better yet, a certfied midwife to help ensure that you do not get a c-section that is not absolutely medically necessary. You can also do your part to read about which situations demand a c-section and which can go either way.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 9:35 PM on Dec. 9, 2008