Dilemma, Do I reveal to my 12 year old daughter that I read her facebook?

She knows she can't have the account unless I know her password. She's in the school play, she has a "boyfriend" which her and I have talked about but she doesn't want her dad to know about him but I told him all about it in confidence. There was a play tonight which is the same play but there are 3 sets of kids so 3 plays. Her play is tomorrow. She asked if she could go up to the play tonight and i asked her if Harold was going to be there and she said she doesn't know what he does. So I okay'd her going with her girlfriend who was in tonight's play and she went to her room, piled on the eye make-up and then got on facebook. So as soon as she left, I went to her messages and her and Harold were discussing going up to the play and hanging out without their parents around. Hmmmm, she lied to me. Now what? I told her to never lie to me again and she denied everything.
Now, do I reveal that I read it on facebook or save my resource for a later more serious time?

marihand

Asked by marihand at 7:20 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Go early to pick her up and catch her with him... then you dont have to tell her but it is out there.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I had to do that with my older daughter, she went to the high school to "try out for drumline" which was totally out of character so I went and sat outside the school a half hour before I was supposed to pick her up and sure enough, he dropped her off and she ran inside. She was grounded for a long time.
    marihand

Comment by marihand (original poster) at 7:23 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Good answer anonymous but I would just make your own facebook page and ask her and her buddies to be your facebook friends. Then it is all above board and you aren't spying and you get to see what her buddies are into too. It has always worked for me.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 7:23 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I'd tell her you weren't born yesterday and you knew he was going to be there. Then explain to her that she won't be using her facebook or cell phone (if she has one) for the next week. Next time she'll probably tell the truth!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 7:23 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• No don't admit the FB thing and if she's been a good kid otherwise, I wouldn't worry. Kids are going to do some stuff like this, it sounds harmless. Am I missing something? She is afraid to tell you and you proved her right by checking her facebook account.
    Anonymous

• My son wanted one last year when he was 14. He quit during lent and never went back. Said it was too much drama,lol.
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• shes 12..... yea she should know that she got caught ling and i would delete her account.. i would also show up at the play n pick her up for lying

kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• tell her someone you know went and told you.. u dont have to tll her. YOUR the parent you have the right too look at your MINOR childs page and phone or w.e.... im with kaylan.. take away computer rights and her phone if she has one..
    Anonymous

• Don't reveal that until she is a grown up adult woman. Just keep looking at it so you know what she's doing, that way you can better keep her safe.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• 1. She is too young for facebook. 2. She is too young for a boyfriend. Should of seen that coming!tsk tsk

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 7:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2011