Has anyone on here been told that their baby's hip might need a brace?

My daughter's pediatrician told us that she noticed a couple things that might mean her hip isn't connected the way it should be. Health wise, it's not a huge deal. It can be corrected by her wearing a hip brace for 6 weeks. Seeing how she'll be 3 weeks old tomorrow, she'd have it off a little after she's 2 months old. Money wise, well it'd be a lot, but I guess we're used to insurance screwing us out of our money. I don't even want to think about how much we've spent on my pregnancy with her, having her, surgeries we've had to do for my son, and now we might have to pay for her hip brace. We'd of course make it work though.

What I'm hoping is that someone else's pediatrician told them that there might be a problem with their baby's hip only to find out that everything was okay. She has an ultrasound in a few days to check everything out. She said it's more common with girls.

ours

Asked by ours at 7:34 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hip dysplasia is much more common in girls. there is lots of information on it and several message boards if you look.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:36 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Yes, my middle child had the ultrasound and all was well!

I didn't have the risk factors for it either. I forget what they are though. Search online and you will find some good info on babycenter or anywhere. And the ultrasound is totally quick & painless.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 7:39 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• When I was a baby I had hip displaysia. I wore the hip brace for like, six months (but this was more than twenty years ago). My daughter had a weird 'click' in her hip, plus the family history, so we went for the ultrasound as well. It was quick, painless, and actually turned out to be nothing! Good luck!!
    jteffs

Answer by jteffs at 7:49 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I'm really hoping it's nothing. I just looked up the hip braces and I would hate to see her in one of those. :[
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Jun. 2, 2011