What to do when your mother spanks your child?

I had a rough up bringing.. cps was at my house a lot when I was little.. they finally took me away when I was 14. BUT now that I am older.. I have to take care of my parents.. my siblings want nothing to do with them. So my son was outside and my mom went out saw him digging in my garden with his tools and she poped him in the head.. I AM FURIOUS!!! He is special needs, and we don't spank at all.. I want to punch her.. I have no clue what to do or how to address this, I know she will say well it was only one hit.. or something belittling what she did..

Punkslilncs

Asked by Punkslilncs at 7:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If she responds with the "it was just one hit" let her know that she can't dismiss what you say, you're the parent NOT her and spanking your children isn't allowed period.

If she can't accept that than maybe she doesn't need YOUR help.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 7:39 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• KICK HER OUT.. shes an adult... u dont HAVE to take care of ur parents
    Ur kid should come 1st.. or warn her and tell her they are not her kids and she has no right to do that and if u see her again she will be out of the house
    Anonymous

• My mom spanked my kid once and she NEVER did it again after I got thru with her.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 7:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Tell her that if she EVER raises a hand to him again then that will be the last time she sees him.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Spanking is different than a "pop in the head". A spank is on the bum or hand. It is done out of discipline. What you described was her being annoyed and taking a swat. The fact that this child is special needs makes the situation different also.
    vampporcupine

Answer by vampporcupine at 7:45 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Be direct and assertive within respect to your children, especially with people who are in their lives & will remain in their lives. What ever you do this 1st initial time will set presidense for long term for future outcomes & expectations. In other words she will do it unless you put your foot down the first time it occurs. Good for you to be healthy enough to have boundaries!! Kudos to being healthy despite your upbringing.
    1northwestmom

Answer by 1northwestmom at 7:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Remind your mom that you do not HAVE to take care of her and she is there because you allow it, then let her know that if she ever raises a hand to your child again she will no longer be living with you.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:52 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I agree with kicking her out. It is not your responsability to care for her. She is the one that was a bad parent leading to no one wanting to care for her. Do you really think she will stop by only doing it one time?? especially if she was abusive to you.....
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 8:23 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I take care of both of my parents.. kicking her out would leave her homeless... and I couldn't do that to my parents.. if that even came up.. my dad would go ballistic..
    Punkslilncs

Comment by Punkslilncs (original poster) at 8:58 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• tell my kid he should have been listening. BUT these are completely different circumstances and honestly considering what you have told i would definelty put my foot down. and as bad as it may be i would get her out of my house if that means she is homeless then maybe after a while when i'm sure she has learned that no means she is not to hit my kid/s then i would maybe bring her back, but that is only one time that i would do that. after all as much as i love my mother, and i do ALOT, i love my kids soooo much more.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 11:14 PM on Jun. 2, 2011