I just had a bittersweet ultrasound, what can this mean?

So I just had an ultrasound at 30 weeks and I found out I am having a girl... YAY!

But... I also found out that I only have a two vessel cord. My doctor appointment is not until next week so I want you experienced and educated mommies to tell me what this can mean.

I researched online and I don't really find any real life stories. I want to hear what you all have to say about it.

As far as the baby looks, she looks normal, is a little above average in size, and does not have any obvious malformations..so that is reassuring.

Please give me your knowledge and support!

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 5:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i wouldnt let it worry me because she is obviously not in any real danger or the ultrasound tech would have called someone immediately. and the drs will be checking for any abnormalities thruout the whole thing...look at it on the bright side dont turn it because when u expect the worst thats usually when it happens. and its not the case.. my dr told me thruout that my baby is way smaller but i am 38 wks and everything is on the move she is healthy
    angel_lips

Answer by angel_lips at 5:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• It just means you have one artery that carries oxygen or waste is missing. Youre doctor is going to run more tests on you and probably do more ultrasounds but usually its ok. Theyll check for any abnormalities and chromosonal testing to make sure the baby is ok. Just from q uick google search is says it happens in 1% of singleton pregnancies and 5% of multiples. One artery can do the job both do.

Answer by gemgem at 5:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• There's nothing like an ultrasound to get your heart racing with anticipation (there's a baby inside!) and at the same time get you worried about every possible complication. What your ultrasound technician observed happens to be the most common irregularity to affect the umbilical cord — the supply-and-waste line that connects you with your baby. Fortunately, most two-vessel cords have a happy ending — and a healthy baby to show for them.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:18 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• During the anatomy ultrasound, one of the things the sonographer looks for is the presence of three vessels within the umbilical cord: one vein (which carries oxygen and nutrients from you to the baby) and two arteries (which shuttle that waste back to you, to be processed and disposed of by your kidneys). Instead of those three vessels, your baby's cord has only two: one vein and one artery. Two-vessel cord — also known as single umbilical artery (SUA) — occurs in 1 percent of singleton pregnancies and 5 percent of twin and multiple pregnancies. Researchers don't quite know what causes SUA, though they theorize that the second artery disappears at some point during early pregnancy.
    CarolynBarnett

• Although one artery can certainly perform the job of two and sustain a perfectly healthy pregnancy, your practitioner will likely keep a particularly close eye on your baby's development, and may want to run further tests, including more scans (more pictures — yay!) and possibly even a chromosomal analysis to rule out any genetic abnormalities or other congenital problems. The chances are quite good, however, that your baby will be just fine. So all you need to do from here on out, Mom, is continue taking good care of yourself and enjoy your pregnancy (keeping it as worry-free as possible).
    CarolynBarnett

• Taken from the website "http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/ask-heidi/two-vessel-cord.aspx"

Hope that helps you relax a little!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2008