Is the Doc doing more harm than good here??

I have had (count this) FOUR pelvic exams in the last month. I have had this UTI for at least 2 weeks. I dropped at 29 weeks, and dialated to one (now 1.5) before 30 weeks. Had the symptoms of preterm labor, but it never took off per say.

I read up on the UTI and kidney infection and they say that these infections can bring the onset of labor if untreated. HELLO NURSE! MORONS! So if my baby comes early it's because they neglected me and my daughter with lack of testing or proceedure. NO information for me, NO call backs half the time on test results and so on. Though I am still long and thick ( some thinning) I am dialating on the southern end of my cervix and 1 cm on top. Why do they keep doing pelvic exams then? Isn't that coaxing the baby out or my body to change too early?

Unbroken_Amanda

Asked by Unbroken_Amanda at 5:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• if your truly concerned about the health and well being of you and your baby i would say get a second opinion from a new doctor. i know we build huge bonds with our doctors during pregnancy but if you feel your not getting the best care possible that may be the best answer. i cant see why they would keep doing pelvic exams. usually if theyre concerned about preterm labor theyll admit you to the hospital and observe you for a while. you definitely should be on an antibiotic of some sort. i would say get a second opinion
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 6:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• if you are dilating arent they doing the pelvic exams to see if you are dilating more?
    Anonymous

• Pelvic exams don't cause dilation. Are you on macrobid or another antibiotic for the yeast infection?
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• It's a bladder, possible kidney infection. They say that they are doing the pelvics to see if I am still dialating,, but I am not having labor patern contractions so whats the purpose there?
    Unbroken_Amanda

Answer by Unbroken_Amanda at 5:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• You can dilate without contractions or at least without regular ones. Do thy have you on a antibiotic for the infection?
    Anonymous

• As stated above, Pelvic exams will not cause you to dilate. Since you are not having any other symptoms of pre-term labor, they are just checking to make sure you aren't dilating anymore.

As far as them not calling you with test results, remember the old saying that "No news is good news". Why would they call you if there was nothing to say? If you are that concerned about it, you can call them just to double check, but don't expect a call back for every test you do. That's just unreasonable.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:13 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I am on antibiotics yes. I do think they neglected me because I have had my uti for some time several weeks if not longer according to the lab. So to me that indicates some neglegence because maybe I would not be having any dilation issues since it seems to date back to when I first started to complain about symptoms. I looked for another doc but because I am only 8 weeks or so from my EDD no one will take me on. At least not around here...
    Unbroken_Amanda

Answer by Unbroken_Amanda at 9:45 PM on Dec. 9, 2008