Is the cultural perception of marijuana changed?

Do we, as a culture, not see marijuana as such an evil thing anymore? (I'm not talking about other drugs, just marijuana).

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 8:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It was seen as evil due to the lack of knowledge about it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:34 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Gradually the cultural perception is moving owards tolerance . I don't use it myself but I do think the time has come to legalise it .and pull the rug from under the feet of a large chunk of the illegal drugs trade and the violence that goes with it .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 8:43 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I never saw it as an evil. But I think society is moving more toward understanding that it's not an evil
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• 100% yes. The only people against it still are either ignorant of the facts or making money off it's being illegal.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 8:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I think as we learn more about it, we accept if more. It's still a gateway drug, and it still causes corruption.

Anonymous

• So many states are legalizing majijuana as a legitimate medication to teat a number of disorders such as glaucoma, nausea associated with chemotherapy, chronic pain, high blood pressure etc that people are beginning to realize it is a natural herbal medicine.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 9:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I think that most of the people that still see it as being evil are the people that don't necessarily want anything in there little world to change. Hell, most of the cops in my town wont even sight people for having it, as long as it's not an outrageous amount. Grant it they don't give it back because it is still illegal. I think that if they legalized it and sold it like they do tobacco, the government would be able to actually make money instead of ask everyone else for help!
    fritobaby04

Answer by fritobaby04 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• HAS the cultural perCeption of marijuana changed? I don't think so. Drugs were accepted and nobody questioned them in the "olden days" centuries ago.People have been smoking pot and people have been doing hashish,using Bongs, women took Opium in the 19th century....drugs have been around for ever and I don't see that culture has much to do with it.The HEALTH impact of any and all drugs is more well known and better understood than in the past.... and the Medical Profession has learned alot .
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:39 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I think so. I live in BC and a good portion of the population does it. We can even get it for certain conditions from a doctor.
    It's a *natural* plant, so why not?
    mrsvixen

Answer by mrsvixen at 9:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I know too many people with serious health problems. Using Marijuana is one of the best ways to alliviate their pain. Legalizing it for Medical purposes should be done.
    The government is just scared that if they legalize it, then that is just more money being taken out of their pockets. They need to learn to live like those of us who are not on the rich side, who deal more with the pains of health problems because of no health care.
    Anyway, I could go on and on about this subject. I'm even writing a paper on the Legalization of Marijuana. I am always up for comments of the subject. If you do comment, can I use your comment in my paper? Thanks.
    jillkraig

Answer by jillkraig at 9:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2011