God On Trial

Clip from the movie here.

I just watched this very moving scene from the movie "God On Trial." I was reminded of when I was a believer, and how easy it was to read the bible, hear the stories repeated and interpreted from church podiums, and not be emotionally attached to the harsh imaginings of what I was hearing. I was young, 13 when I stopped attending church regularly, yet I kept egoistically recycling the words I had heard, passionately, as if they were my own truths.

I wondered while I watched this clip, if all that information had been delivered to me like it is in this scene, how I would have received it. I wondered if I would have began actively researching contrary information sooner. I realized that part of my being influenced to be a believer (besides my youth) was due in part to the delivery of the message, and the fact that all those surrounding me would nod in agreement, or do things like verbally interrupt the sermon with  "Praise the lord," so I never thought to go against that stream. All of that made it easier for me to believe, even though it was never honestly thoroughly conscious.

Please watch the 9 minute, 45 second video and answer the question afterward, if you would.

Toward the end, " God is not good" is said on the heels of what I consider to be very justifiable reasons to have reached that conclusion. 

If you know me, you know I do not have a belief in any god, I'm simply intrigued by the psychology of those that do, and some of the reasons are stated in the video.

So, how does one maintain the idea that god is good, when they understand to the best of their ability, everything that is mentioned, straight out of the bible, in the clip?

Please forgive the length of this and thanks for investing your time.

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 9:20 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Wow, thank you for posting it. I hadn't seen that before, and it was definitely well worth the time invested.

Personally, I don't know how anyone could justify the actions of "God" and call him "good", given the vast amount of cruelty he has inflicted upon the people he supposedly created. 

I know that there will be responses that say things like "the Old Testament' doesn't count anymore because of the sacrifice of Jesus", but if the OT is the 'word of God', and the historic events described in it are to be attributed to him, then I have to agree... God is not good.

Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 10:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Actually, Eilish, you did spam. It would have been far more easy to just provide a link to the part of the Bible that you wanted people to read instead of taking up a half a page of replies here.

Your verses essentially quote "God" going off on an ego trip, but do little to answer why you feel that "God is good". How about giving it a go using your own ideas about what was presented in the video, rather than just copying and pasting scripture?
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 11:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• This was not new to me. I hadn't seen the clip or the film, but I've read the Bible and know all of the atrocities attributed to God in the Old Testament. Not a "Good God" by any stretch of the imagination. I fist realized just how Bad it was when I couldn't find a single Bible verse I wanted to read to my daughter one day while waiting in the Dentists' office years ago and she asked me to read her something from it. Sure there are some bits in the New Testament that are reassuring and seem to be based on Love, but I rejected the Bible a long time ago.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:18 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I haven't had the time to watch it yet, since I'm getting ready to log off, but I will watch it in the morning - I just wanted to mention, though, that not everyone understands what is "straight out of the Bible" the same way. There are those of us who reject the Bible as inerrant or absolute, those of us who reject the idea of the Bible representing literal events, etc. While one perception of God may fail to live up to our definition of "good", that doesn't mean there aren't *other* understandings and perceptions, even based on the same texts or religious traditions.
    So rejecting one perception doesn't mean someone has considered *all* the information, and to reject or judge the notion of God without considering the other available sources seems, to me, to be a little intellectually dishonest. We wouldn't form an opinion on a matter of science before reading all the different studies from all the different sources.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• That was moving, and now I need to rent the movie to watch the entire thing. If one takes the Bible literally, then this clip does make an amazing case against a good God of the Bible. This was the conclusion I came to upon reading the entire Bible, but this clip highlights the reasons why I had such great unease while reading the OT while I considered myself to be Christian.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 11:07 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I didn't click the link because, unfortunately, my speakers aren't working and , for that, I apologize. From what I'm gathering though, the OT shows a God of wrath and the NT a God of mercy (if the NT was even mentioned, that is). What about all the GOOD things God did in the OT? Such as freeing the Israelits that had been enslaved by the Egyptians for 400 years, parting the Red Sea to provide them a means of escape, feeding them manna from heaven every day and quail also, shutting the mouths of the lions when Daniel was in their den, protecting Meshack, Shadrack, and Abidnigo when they were in the furnace, blessing Abraham and Sarah with a son in their old age....I could go on and on. What about those things? The truth is, the God of the NT is the same God of the OT. He NEVER changes. He is just as merciful in the OT as He is in the NT. cont....
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Historically speaking God does not ahve a very good track record and if he were to be put on trial today he would be charged with war crimes, crimes against humanity, and genocide, just to name a fewl
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:54 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Is this something I want to click with a child in the room or no?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Read Nehemiah 9 for a summary of how God mercifully forgave Israel again and again, afer they repeatedly sinned and turned their back on Him. He is also just as wrath-filled in the NT as He is in the Old. He killed a husband and wife in the Book of Acts simply because they told one lie. Jesus warned that He was to be feared because He has the power to cast the body and soul into hell. Or you can read about the horrific judgments that will take place when the Book of Revelation is fulfilled. But I think the most fearful display of His wrath is seen in the cross of Jesus. His fury so came upon Jesus that God enshrouded Jesus' face in darkness so that His unspeakable agony couldn't be gazed upon. Whether we like it or not, God is a consuming fire of holiness. He isn't going to change. I apologize for the lengthiness of my response, but you said you really want to understand why we think as we do. I hope I helped some. Good post.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:00 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Maybe it's just be but I tend to think of "Wrath-filled' and "holy" as being completely contradictory.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:07 AM on Jun. 3, 2011