When is bedtime for an 11 yr old and/or an 8 year old-school night and summer vacation please!

My boys are telling me their bedtimes are too early, the 11 year old is 9:00 on school nights, and 8:30 for the 8 (almost 9 year old)

Nkrs

Asked by Nkrs at 9:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• No, that sounds right. My daughter is 14 and her bedtime is 9:30 for crying out loud. The kid needs her sleep. In the summer though, I don't care. At 14 and being mature, my daughter is very good at figuring out when she is tired and needs to crash.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• sounds good to me. Our goal is to have the kids in bed by 8-8:30 on school night's but they're 7 and under. In the summer we are way more relaxed on bed time, unless they have something planned for the next day.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Honestly, I don't enforce one on vacation. Too often the other kids in the neighborhood are out later, so his bedtime would be before they went inside if I carried it through (8 yrs old, 8:30). At 10 will push it forward to 9:00 during the school year, but weekends/vacations it's whenever he crashes. For during the school year, though, your sound right. (ftr, when he was still in daycare and I had to be up early, we still enforced bedtime year round - I give him a break because we don't have to get him out of the house in the morning, if yours do, that's really like being in school year round)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:34 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• well depends on the day but my kids both go to bed at 9:30- 10:00 (if they're fussy)
    proudmom717

Answer by proudmom717 at 9:45 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I have an 11yr old and an 8 yr old boy and most nights,(even in summer) I have to put the boy to bed a lot earlier because he doesn't seem to realize how tired he is, but as soon as his head hits the pillow he is out.
    myya

Answer by myya at 11:21 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My 9 and 11 yo's go to bed at 8:30 on school nights, but are allowed to read until lights out at 9. In the summer they will still go to bed at 9 - I don't want their schedules too far off, my husband still has to get up and go to work, and I still have to get up with my little ones. On the weekends we let them stay up until usually 10 and occasionally 11 on Friday night.

Answer by missanc at 2:38 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• my DD goes to bed when school is in at 9 and when there out when ever she goes to bed she is the one who has to pay for it in the am cause we all still get up by 8am
    budda646

Answer by budda646 at 5:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Thanks for the answers, I agree 8:30-9:00 is the right time!
    Nkrs

Comment by Nkrs (original poster) at 9:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2011