What is the diffrence between ...

Non denominational and denominational christian?
Can anyone give a good description of two?..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• non denomination is a church that doens't declare a denomination as opposed to ppl who declare to be catholic, baptist, methodist, church of god, presbetyrian... ect
    Anonymous

• I think non denominational does not go by any particular affiliation.
    ex: they are not baptist, pentecostal , JW, catholic etc,
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 5:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My exp with them is that they just teach the word of God and how to be Christ like, as opposed to say being Baptist, Catholic, Methodist. They have their own beliefs and might teach the congregation based on the religion itself and the religions viewpoint.

Answer by gemgem at 5:58 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I've belonged to both. I belonged to a denomination - pentecostal (COGIC) and now I belong to a non-denominational - the doctrines are basically the same, they teach the word of God, and the non-denom I belong to does have a more pentecostal lean.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 6:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• So it would be safe to say that Non denominational churches are usually led by the Holy Ghost, being that they go based by the word or Christ verse a specific religion?
    maybe more "charasmatic"
    Verse denominational church that Has its way of teaching the bible?
    Anonymous

• anon 6:04 - I don't want to say all churches but yeah basically. The denom I grew up in I loved the foundational doctrine and teachings but the man made stuff is what bothered me. No pants, no make-up, no this no that... had to wear pantyhose or socks.. etc... and i couldn't find it in the bible and they would be upset when I questioned (plus I was the pastors daughter). If it's in the word and the bible says to do it or not do it... I had no problem with that. That was my experience and my not be everyone else's.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 6:16 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Non-denom means you are just a Christian and don't belong to any religion.

Denom means you take claim to a specific religion.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:29 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Do you mean religion or church affiliation?
    I am not religious but I do have a church affiliation.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 7:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Nondenominational means that particular congregation has no real oversight or leadership hierarchy, other than what is within that particular congregation. They can teach whatever doctrine they wish. They aren't affiliated with any organized group. It's usually a way to reach people who have been turned off by their respective denominations, and an attempt to be more inclusive of Christians overall.
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 1:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• All Christian based religions share one common belief and that is their faith in Jesus Christ as our Lord. Once you get past that, each denomination starts branching off in their own directions based on their interpretations of various scripture. Some put more emphasis on one scripture than the next does and that's why you end up with so many different beliefs.

In a way, I actually think you could consider Non Denominational a domination of it's own. But it hasn't had centuries or decades labeled by a certain name, like Baptist, or Lutheran. So while it seems "new" and unconventional, it's really just another "take" on the Bible and Christianity.
    Continued below
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 1:49 PM on Dec. 10, 2008