• In the Spotlight:

Common question, but I want your input!

I don't want to name my child something that I will regret. You know like that that baby I met recently named Laqueef.

We are expecting a baby girl and plan on naming her Ellie Nicole.

What do you think of the name?
Please be brutally honest as I won't take offense, I will appreciate it.

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 5:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i like the name, and i think people coming up with the name ellen are giving her a teasing sentence.. but what about elizabeth?
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 6:53 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• i think its a sweet name and very girly
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 5:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• It is adorable and something I would even consider if we weren't so partial to namesakes...
    Unbroken_Amanda

Answer by Unbroken_Amanda at 5:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I like it, but what happens when she's grown up? Have you thought about naming her something like Ellen Nicole and calling her Ellie? Just in case she wants a name as a grown up that doesn't sound like a little girl.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 5:58 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I agree with beckcorc, that gives her the option when she grows up. If we as the parents have a preference to a nickname, we can use it, but I don't think (I speak only for myself) that we should tie our kids to it, like naming a kid "Bobby" instead of Robert. I have the opposite problem, I have a son named Gabriel, and I HATE the name Gabe so we call him Gabriel, but it's his name, and it indicates HIS personality, so if he likes Gabe, when he gets old enough he can decide he prefers it.
    hsalvatore

Answer by hsalvatore at 6:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• you know you have up to a year after the baby is born to be able to legaly change her name if you feel you need/want to change it. but i agree with Elen Nichole. that way if she becomes a business woman, she'll sound more suffisticated (sp?) as well.
    Anonymous

• i looveeeee the name ellie

i dont like Ellen... nd i think Ellie is different and girly and pretty.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 6:10 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Very cute, but I agree with the above posters. We considered naming our baby Elizabeth (if he'd been a she, lol) and calling her Ellie. Elizabeth gives her options for the future, should she desire something more professional sounding. She can also decide to go by Eliza, Elissa, Lisa, Beth, Liz, Elle, whatever! I'm a Katherine, but most people know me as Katie...I've gone by Katherine for more professional endeavors, though...and I've also been Kate. Maybe I'm weird, though. Ok, I *know* I'm weird. ;)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• In my honest opinion...not to be rude but what came to mind is Ellie..Elephant...I think I watched a cartoon with an Ellie the Elephant or it was a book or something...That might be where I got it from.
    Anonymous

• LOL, and good example, hsalvatore! My son is Robert, but we call him Bobby! It *does* get a little confusing when we tell people what his name is, as we don't really want people to call him Robert, but I think people think it's weird that he's just Bobby (not knowing that he's actually Robert). I played the name game, though: he could be Robert S. Crandall, Attorney at Law (or MD), he could be Bob the Plumber, he could be Rob the boat captain, and of course he can go by Bobby Scott (his middle name) when he works for ESPN as a sportscaster!

LOL, like I said, weird!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2008