Help for my English Comp paper.

I'm doing a paper in my English Comp class on the Legalization of Marijuana. What are your thoughts on this matter? If you reply, can I use your quote or reply in my paper? Thanks everyone.
Jill

jillkraig

Asked by jillkraig at 9:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in

• You can quote me. I personally have never smoked it ever. It's illegal and I'm a damn goody two-shoes. My sister is a pot-loving fool. They SAY it's not addictive but I think it is because whenever she has a dollar to her name, she buys it. She encourages her kids to smoke it which bothers me. My dad, a retired cop, has smoked it all his life and told me never to do drugs so that's kind of hypocritical. I think he too, is hooked. So I'm not all hot on the idea of making it legal from my personal experience of family members around me. I am totally for it for those who need it for medicinal puruposes.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:53 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• oh man. please pick a different topic. I think every college professor has read pile after pile about how DuPont screwed over the hemp industry, blah blah blah!!! Its such an overdone topic and, although there is a ton of information available on it, I think it is an easy-out paper choice.

That being said, good luck on your paper:) I know it will turn out well so long as you do your research and make clear arguments.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:55 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• In a nation predicated strongly on the idea of property rights, the notion that the government can instruct a person on what to do with the only property they own without lien or license is absurd.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 9:55 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• I personally have no problem with someone smoking it. What I have a serious problem with, is those people that drive/operate a car/heavy equipment while under the influence of marijuana. This will be be a problem if marijuana is legalized.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 9:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• If alcohol is legal, i dont see why MJ shouldnt be. The effects of alcohol are much more debilitating than weed. Also, i have never heard of someone killing someone else in a marijuana fueled rage (marijuana only, not talking any other drug involved)... Alcohol though, many. Drunken brawls. Drunken one night stands. Alcohol ruins lives everyday. Yet it is legal. So i cant understand why MJ is not, except for the fact that people might realize its true medicinal quaioties and take money from the pharmacutical industry. Why would you take pills that cause a long list of side effects, when you can smoke a natural herb, and only get the munchies and drowsiness.. And the giggles. Not enough money to be made, so they scare the public into thinking MJ is horrible.
    I dont smoke it. I have in the past. And i just dont see the justification for alcohol and pills = legal. Natural herb = illegal.
    You can quote me if you want. Vent over:)
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 10:21 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My personal thoughts are that, unlike alcohol, these "high" experiences help a lot of users see things from a much "higher" perspective, which not only is addictive as heck, but I think a little dangerous for general populace who are led to believe what is going on around them through the media they are presented with. I know how important it is not to tell children certain things about the world around them in order to make them feel safe and calm so they can perform at at their highest level as required. I feel to some degree the gov't feels that way about its citizens. Not everybody is ready to have the "aha!" moments marijuana may give them. And often, they're unable to return to the world at hand. Alcohol doesn't do this even though it is very damaging to the human body, and brain which is why I believe it still remains legal. For medicinal purposes, I agree absolutely! As a controlled substance by prescription.
    UltimateGrandma

Answer by UltimateGrandma at 10:40 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Look, decriminilization of marijuana will not create more drug addicts. First, let's quit talking about if it were legal, then people working heavy machinery will suddenly not have the ability to conform to work rules which prohibit intoxication on the job. People who come to work (or drive) while high or drunk are neither prevented nor encouraged by the legal status of the intoxicant.
    Next: If marijuana were not illegal, then BOOM, the mafia and gangs pretty much become obsolete, or at least nowhere near as profitable, and thus, powerful. SINCE the purchasing of marijuana would be legal, then there would be a large tax base and huge income for the GDP as well as state taxes. THEN instead of the state spending inordinate amounts of money on treating normal, decent people who prefer intoxication by marijuana like criminals and locking them away for years and years, they could save a WHOLE lot on prosecution, incarceration,
    fohtrae

Answer by fohtrae at 11:59 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• And finally, some of that savings and income could be used much more effectively by offering treatment facilities for those who feel they have need for it.

For your research, do the math of the difference between these costs, and imagine an approximate state income based on legal, controlled sales, and make that as part of your argument. Include if you like, the decrease in costs of fighting the gang problem.....etc.

AND FINALLY FINALLY, our laws should be to protect us from others trying to impede on our god-given rights...nothing more. Nowhere in the Constitution does it state that it is federal responsibility to protect us from all that the state deems harmful.
    fohtrae

Answer by fohtrae at 12:03 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• sry to take up so many replies, but the mafia/gangs comment refers to decriminalization of drugs in general, which I am all for in a Constitutional Republic that we are collectively forgetting that we supposedly live in here.
    fohtrae

Answer by fohtrae at 12:09 AM on Jun. 3, 2011