My daughter refuses to take a nap at daycare.

She just turned three years old. She started daycare only a month ago. Before that, my husband, myself and my mother-in-law were the only caretakers she has ever had. She gets anxious at lunch time (anticipating nap time). The teacher is trying to help, but she takes her lunch at this time. My daughter throws a fit when her teacher leaves the room:( Any suggestions?

jaysmommy007

Asked by jaysmommy007 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My DD did the same thing with getting upset although she did take naps. If she hasn't been there for a few months....it will take a good few months for everything to settle and become normal again. My DD never been in daycare until last summer and she is almost 3 now so it was a huge change for her as well.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 10:38 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• My DD has this problem when she first started preschool. So we went shopping for nap stuff that she picked out on her own for school. Of course she had to have a pillow pet, a pink frog sheet, and a tinkerbell blanket. I also sent her "lovey" that she was allowed to use for naptime. It helped tremendously. Now she is 4 and they are KILLING ME with that 2-hour nap time!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:39 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Record yourself on tape reading her favorite stories, singing her favorite songs and store them on a CD, Tape, or whatever she uses to listen to with earphones. When she lays down, have the teacher let her wear the earphones and turn on the player. (Make sure to remind the teacher to keep the cord for the earphones in back of her neck, not in front) Your child will get to listen to you talk and sing to her until she falls asleep! I also agree with Keeely07 about using the special nap stuff. It connects them to a feeling of homelike safety.
    UltimateGrandma

Answer by UltimateGrandma at 10:53 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• It's very hard to conform to other people's time schedules. Everyone is different. That's why there are some people who prefer to work night and other people who are morning people. Maybe the daycare will let her just rest, but it isn't fair to make her sleep when she isn't ready. Could you maybe find a babysitter rather than a daycare? I know it might not be possible, but if not maybe the daycare can work with you and your baby a little.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 11:13 PM on Jun. 2, 2011