• In the Spotlight:

Christening Etiquette Question

We have set a date in February for our son's Baptism. What is the etiquette for who to invite? We know we should have a part afterward for friends and family to attend and I don't want to invite more people to the Church than we can accommodate in our home. Is it okay to keep the list very small? Mostly immediate family, very close friends, and of course the God Parents. Did you have a giant affair for your child's Christening?

beckcorc

Asked by beckcorc at 6:06 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We are Catholic. What we have been told is it's only grandparents, parents (obviously), godparents, and the families of those you've invited. You are not obligated to invite more people than that.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 6:34 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• generally for baptisms it is only close family and friends. we went with immediate family, close aunts and uncles and only a couple of friends. people wont get angry. they understand. the baptism is a more personal thing anyways, its not huge like a birthday
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 6:08 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I had immediate family at the church and everyone else over afterwards. Somewhere b/n 20 and 30 ppl. Its all up to you though!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:10 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Small is better. This is a more serious celebration, you know? I'm planning my son's, which will be huge only because my family is huge. I don't really plan on inviting any of our friends just because I don't want Bobby's baptism to become a par-tay. ;)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2008