sex and marriage

In your opinion, can a marriage last without sex or intimacy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Relationships

• I think that a marriage could perhaps last without sex, not so much without intimacy. Intimacy is defined as "a close, familiar, and usually affectionate or loving personal relationship with another person or group." So it doesn't have to be sexual in nature. A marriage without intimacy seems like a marriage that may be lacking a real sense of love and devotion - and that isn't healthy. However, I could see a marriage lasting without sex as long as both people were OK with that.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 7:11 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• In my opinion I don't think a marriage can last without sex or intimacy becuase it plays a big role,if you love eachother your going to have sex and thats what I think keeps your love for one another alive.
    loreli102207

Answer by loreli102207 at 6:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• What if both ppl were not ok with that, and communication has been tried and nothing is changing i do not wish to give up, but how long am i supposed to wait?
    Anonymous

• I definitely think it could last without sex, but not without intimacy. Once you lose both, I think both partners have checked out of the relationship. Marriage is for better or worst, in sickness and in health. So if couples who God forbid have accidents were they can't perform sexually, they still do stay together through intimacy. If both people have big enough hearts for each other, and their souls are connected they can make it through anything. You don't have to have "actual sex" with your partner to get the same release. There is many ways to do that together to achieve the same common goal.
    sweetpea04

Answer by sweetpea04 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• My parents have been happily married for 32 years and have not had sex or any intimacy for the past 19. As long as the two of you connect on a spiritual and personal level, I don't think sex is really all that important.
    firefighinmommy

Answer by firefighinmommy at 7:37 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• yes

Answer by admckenzie at 7:50 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• not for me
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 8:32 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Well there have been times we have not had much of either and we have survived. But not thrived.
    Anonymous

• I think it is hard but can...i cant get my husband to touch me and when i bring it up he pretends to ignore me i ask what i can do to help and he says nothing im just tired...the only thing he wants his oral and then hes done...i cant even get him to hug me anymore...its been like this a long time with us and we have a great marriage. i mean i know im not fat i weigh 110 lbs that like 15 more from when we got married but ive also had a kid...so i think it is possable to have a good relationship...it may be hard but it can be done
    Anonymous