is the right side ok?

So im 20 weeks pregnant and i know i cant sleep on my back and they say your left side but is it safe to sleep on your right side? im more comfy on my right side becuz of how my baby is sitter. I ment to ask my dr today at our apt but i forgot and i dont wana call for such a silly question.

Mommy2B04

Asked by Mommy2B04 at 6:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• you can sleep however you want. its just the left side is preferred because it helps circulation of the blood flow.

i sleep on my back, right side left side half side half stomach ... however i can get comfortable. trust me when you are further along and aching youll try any position to get comfortable lol
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 6:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I know what they say but when you are prego how ever you can sleep is the way you sleep. I couldn't sleep unless I was on my stomach most of the time until I got too big then I slept on which ever side I could fall asleep on...
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 6:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• i was more comfy on my right side..i say was because i blew up all of a sudden and now nothing is comfy!!! but it wont hurt the baby...i just heard when contractions start, lay on ur left side
    angel_lips

Answer by angel_lips at 6:23 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I sleep sitting up, lol. Only way comfy fo rme.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 6:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• i slept on my right mostly, i know they say left is better but i couldnt sleep that way it hurt
    angelbabies14

Answer by angelbabies14 at 6:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Like mentioned above, the left side is best for circulation, but you can sleep how ever you would like to.

Just know that sleeping on your back has the potential to cut off blood flow (the bigger you are, the heavier your uterus is, the more pressure on you femoral arteries) so if you have obvious signs of no circulation (your feet are getting that tingly sensation or are turning blue) then it is time to find a new position to sleep.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• You can sleep whichever way is comfortable for you. The reason they say not to sleep on your back is because that way your baby's weight is on one of your major arteries. BUT... particularly with taller women, that is sometimes not a problem. If it is, you will start getting very dizzy when you lay on your back. If you don't get dizzy, it's not a problem, and you can go ahead and sleep on your back. The left side gives the most blood flow to the baby, so if you're having serious problems with your pregnancy and you're on bed rest, that's the side they'll tell you to use. Otherwise, right or left side doesn't matter. As long as you get some sleep.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 6:30 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• first, its not a silly question, because i asked my doctor the same thing. thats what they are there for! and second, sleep however you are comfortable, yes the left side is preferred, but will not cause any harm if you sleep on your right. im lucky and can sleep on either so i usually toss and turn between the two. im not sure if this will help, but i was a back sleeper and my doctor said it may be ok as long as im not flat on my back. sleep proped up so the baby doesnt have its weight on your back. im not sleeping much...its more like napping throughout the night and sometimes during the day, good luck getting rest, just wait til your 30 weeks!
    walkthisway522

Answer by walkthisway522 at 6:36 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Yup, right is ok. The only time that it's really crucial to be on the left specifically is if you're having problems.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I move around so much at night. I cant just flip over lol i have to completely rotate my entire body LOL i feel like a whale. It wakes me up at night. I cant stay in any position for too long
    babygurl827

Answer by babygurl827 at 4:02 AM on Dec. 10, 2008