How can I get him to listen

My son is four years old and he seems to be acting up in a way I think, I don't believe in time outs or spanking so I may need some help with this one., He pees in buckets and hides them Now remember we are mothers and can't watch them 24/7 we have to sleep so when he goes to bed at night so do I and I wake up before him. But when I am cleaning and I check on him every five minutes or more He is that fast. He lies about doing it even though the evidence is right there in front of him. That not all he does he lashes out and yells at me like hes the parent He don't listen what so ever when I tell him no he just laughs and keeps doing it. Is this normal at all.... PLEASE HELP.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• You need to find some form of reprimand or your son is going to be totally out of control. My grandson did this once in a while, so it isn't totally abnormal. But if you don't find a punishment that you agree with, you are in for him walking all over you and believe me, as he gets older, you'll wish he was only peeing in a bucket.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 11:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Well, maybe one spank is in order? I'm sorry but I wouldn't put up with that for a second but I wish you good luck.
    Anonymous

• I just don't know what to do I am in complete shock If I would have acted like this when I was growing up I would have gotten spanked But now the laws are totally different so Its hard to just spank him.... :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• This is not normal, except for the fact that you are not putting any form of discipline in place for him. The older he gets the worse this will become. May I ask why you don't believe in time out? We call them "think about it" They sit a minute per year old they are. When they are finished, we ask them to tell us why they were put there (hence the name think about it) and then ask them to tell us what a better choice would have been...it works.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:30 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• In my opinion...some things warrant a good ol' fashoined butt whoopin'. Peeing in buckets is one of them. :) There will be many stages of this problem. My son did it on the floor in his room about a year ago (a few times)...we took away his favorite toy (train set). He's almost 5 now, and his latest trick is to not go when he's told. I'll see him out doin' the "pee dance", but when I tell him to go potty he runs upstairs, waits a few seconds and then comes back and pretends like he went. He is currently grounded from playing a word game on the iphone because it finally happend...he went pee at the top of the stairs.

So in short...take away a favorite...and if that doesn't work, i'm afraid the only other suggestion i have is a swat on the behind.
    mommydinasaur

Answer by mommydinasaur at 4:53 PM on Jun. 8, 2011