Disney in Florida

We will be there 7 days,6 nights. We have a 15 YO special needs son. Other than the main park what should we make sure to visit?We will be staying in the village. Anything not to see,any special shops,attractions,.....? Thanks in advance,Robin

RobinChristine

Asked by RobinChristine at 11:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Travel

• I don't know about the Make-A-Wish village other than the fact that it exists. So I don't know what is immediately around it or any of that, but one thing I would make a point of doing if you can even get a reservation is dinner at Ohana's in the Polynesian resort. It's really neat and REALLY GOOD too! They do fun stuff with the kids like coconut races and hula dancing and other stuff. You leave there with a neck full of flower leis. I know there is a 'cowboy' themed restaurant too, but I don't know the name or the resort it is in.

Take your time in each park and enjoy it. It can take 2 days to see everything in Epcot, 2 days in MK, and one full day at Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios each. If you want to leave Disney property and do something fun, Wonderworks on International Dr is a blast for everyone. BTW water doesn't cost $5 a bottle in the parks, lol, but it is $2, so buy some of your own and bring it in.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Oooh there is so much to be said for this question. Haha. WDW is so much more than just the main park - there are 4 full-size theme parks and they are all wonderful in their own way. Does your son like animals? Animal Kingdom park is one of my favorites; it's like a zoo on steroids, Disney-style. :) I'm not familiar with "the village", where is that?

I know I'm probably not supposed to recommend other sites, but www.mousebuzz.com and www.monocleonthemouse.com are AWESOME forums filled with info, and you will always find someone who can answer any question for you! Have fun planning; the possibilities are endless!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 11:51 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• you will have a lot to see and lots of fun -i have lived in Fla about an hr from there for 27 yrs -the first 5 yrs we went all the time but still never seen it all and since then they have added more -i loved the house of presidents they have all of them and they look so real -also then and now it is awesome it is a carousel of the past ,no water ,electricity ect  to modern --the village i believe is the main st where there are old stores plenty to see do and buy --enjoy

needtochat

Answer by needtochat at 12:11 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Just got back from Florida so be prepared for the God Awful humidity! Bottled water at Disney is 5.00, so make sure you buy your own somewhere else if you can. Use lots of sunscreen and have a BLAST!!!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:22 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• A lot of walking....There aren't any trees for shade so it will be muggy or rainy. I honestly liked the Epcot side better. The different countries is beautiful. We went to the castle early and then when the crowds dies out went to the parade. But I would not reccommend going on the weekend to Disney. The lines were and people were crazy. Even withthe fast pass it was still too much....One time went late at night and went on rides.The most ironic part is that there are so many foreigners and people from NY, NJ and then a whole bunch of really well mannered people from down south. I loved it but over the years it has changed.
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 8:44 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• The only village i know of is Marriott Village, a cluster of hotels very close to the park with a mass of different pools and food options plus transportation to and from that runs like a clock. The thing I have learned about Disney is that you have to remind yourself to have fun and that you don't have to see EVERYTHING. YOu can easlily spend two days in one park and not see everything. Find some things that your son will enjoy most and then plan on to have fun with whatever you encounter. I am glad you will have this great chance to spend time with your family I hope you have some AWESOME memories.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Gatorland is pretty cool.
    kdwiegandt

Answer by kdwiegandt at 1:47 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• We are going because our son was granted wish thru Make A Wish,I am not quiet sure what the village is either.
    RobinChristine

Comment by RobinChristine (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Enjoy Disney! Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom, 2 water parks, 2 mini golf parks, character dining, boardwalk, etc! You will have so much fun! There is so much to do at Disney! Enjoy!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:33 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Hmmmmmmmmm..... For something different, there is a real barbershop on main street in the Magic Kingdom. You can get pixie dust, funky colors or just a regular haircut. When you walk inside the Magic Kingdom, it's to the left.

Another thing to do at Disney.... ride horses at Fort Wilderness (the Disney campground).

Oh..... and the ice cream shop in Downtown Disney!!! YUMMY!!!

Have fun!

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:40 AM on Jun. 4, 2011