Family wont quit talking about how many jobs my husband has had...

Complaining that " he has had so many jobs" , " what is wrong with him, that he cant keep a job" ... etc... and it drives me crazy .

My husband is a college grad and a hard worker... as soon as he was done with college he got a 'starter job" ( it wasnt what he wanted but he made enough to support us, since this is when we got married and had our first baby) ... after 2 years, he moved to another job ( which was a move up from the first one, but still wasnt what he wanted to do with his life , nor what he went to school for, but it was a good paycheck to support our family) , after a year there he got a job offer to work with a lawyer ( and good money) and of course he though this was a good move... 3 months later the lawyer let him go and gave his job to his pregnant mistress ( we are in a small town and everyone knows this ) , he imediatly took another job ( like a factory job) to get us by, and after a month they shut down...

A month after losing that job he was able to get into a temp agency ( they find you a temp job until you can move on ) ... so he has been working there since then, and today was offered his dream job ....

We were both very excited because this is his dream job and it has wonderful pay and benefits ( it is also a long lasting company and would be something that will stay around even if the economy gets worse) ... THIS is the job he has been working for all of these years...

I was so happy and proud that I had to call everyone to tell them... and yet the only things they could say is " why the heck did he get another job for" ... That makes me angry...

I mean of course he has had alot of jobs, but it isnt like he is working a month or two and quitting to mooch off of the system or something.... he has had that many jobs because he is a hard worker who does everything to get a job ( even one that he hates) just so he could take care of his family ! I mean this will be his 5th job in 7 years but the one he is at now is a temp job - he couldnt stay at this job forever anyways and two of them he couldnt help it - he was let go for reasons beyond his control....

I am just tired of feeling like I have to explain my husband , like he is some loser when he is actually a great husband and father who is just trying to take care of his family !!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Relationships

• Sounds like people just want something to talk about, if you ask me. A lot of them probably wouldn't work so dang hard to care for their families - also, a lot of them have probably never gone through ANYTHING like what you guys have. I'm sorry, I can't imagine how much it sucks to deal with that! I feel like I know where you're coming from, because my family has similar feelings about our family and the fact that we moved 3 times in 4 years because my husband was getting new job offers. Then he lost his job (the "best" one) and suddenly we were kind of back to square one in this horrible job market. Feels like family is all acting like "I told you so", and that hurts because they have no idea how hard my husband has worked. Keep your chin up! You don't need to defend your husband; if you feel the need to say something, say exactly what you said here - "he is a great husband/father trying to take care of his family!!"
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 11:40 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• they're probably just worried about stability. some people will pick on anything to feel better about themselves. let it roll off your back bc at least your dh is doing right by his family! congrats on the new job!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• also.. it is mostly my dad , he constantly complains about my husband ( mostly about the jobs) ... and yeah my dad has had the same great job for over 20 years and yet he is horrible with money... He and my mom both have high up jobs and both make enough money to where they shouldnt have to worry about money ... and yet they dont know how to keep track of it and usually have to borrow money at the end of the month..

even when my husband was out of a job for those 2 months we still didnt have to go without because he is so good with money ( we had it put back ) ...

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Tell the idiots that your husband is busting his ass to ensure u don't go on welfare and stuff. My god, the petty shit people bitch about. My mom bitches about my husband, its all made up crap though. I finally told her to shut the hell up.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:48 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• At lease he HAS a job, so I'd throw that back at them. I don't think you have anything to be embarrassed or ashamed of! He sacrificed and now it's paid off. Some of the jobs had nothing to do with him or his performance.

mrsvixen

Answer by mrsvixen at 12:00 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• tell them its none of their business how many jobs he has, if they arent supporting you when he is changing jobs and you are able to handle things without help noone has a right to say anything. but tell him congrats on getting his dream job, i hope everything works out good for you and him!
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 12:05 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Congrats to your husband on getting his dream job!!! Yes, he has had quite a few jobs, but he had a family to support and he took whatever job he was offered to put food on the table and provide for his family. If he really were a 'slacker'(as they seem to imply by commenting on the # of jobs he has had) then he would not care about working or have good work ethic, and he sure as heck would not be landing a 'dream job' .... (i would point all of this out to the family). i wonder if some of their comments could be due to jealousy- your husband has found his dream job (and maybe better wage or benefits), and they are still working at the same jobs they have had for many years.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:41 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• It's none of their business! As long as he's working & taking care of his family, they shouldn't have anything to say about the matter. When they support your family, then they can!
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 8:54 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• start giving them what they give ,tell them it isn't any of their business how many jobs he has had and to worry about themselves, gah family is the most nosy people I know and a lot of them act like know it alls and stick their nose ten foot up your rear, don't take it start standing up for yourself if they are real family they will stop.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 10:47 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Screw em all! Be proud of your hubby, at least he is trying!
    cailynsmommy626

Answer by cailynsmommy626 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 3, 2011