Membrain stripping?

ok so im talking to my doc about it and i wanna know a bit about it.
1.) How do they do this?
2.)Does it hurt?
3.)How long after having this done did you go into labor?
4.)How long did labor last?
5.)Is it safe for Baby and Mommy both?

Thanks To Everyone Who Is Able To Help..!! =)

lovemybabies923

Asked by lovemybabies923 at 11:48 PM on Jun. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It didn't work for me,although you are suppose to go into labor within a day.
    It hurts like hell, it feels like they're putting their arm up to their elbows......sorry :(
    They basically go to your cervix via your vagina and try to stretch it open a little.
    This was 15 years ago, so things may have changed.
    mrsvixen

Answer by mrsvixen at 11:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• Speaking from my experience only...I was 39 weeks and went to the ER with contractions 3 minutes apart and was already 2cm dilated and they asked if I was interested in having it done.

1) The midwife on call lubed up and went in and she separated my water bag from the side of the uterus, it was very uncomfortable and I was having a contraction during it which made it even worse, there was some bleeding but not loads of it.

2) It did hurt me.

3) After having it done she sent me for a walk and I did that for an hour, when I came back I was dilated to 4cm, and I had my baby 3 hours later.

4) In whole my labor was 5 hours long. I counted from when I got to the ER, the membrane stripping, and the hour long walk I had.

5) It is safe, but your body needs to be ready. If you are not close to being in labor then don't.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:58 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• i might have it done tomorrow
    sophistcatdfury

Answer by sophistcatdfury at 11:59 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• well i am about 3 cm and been having contractions as well. i have been for about 3 weeks. im 39 weeks as well
    lovemybabies923

Comment by lovemybabies923 (original poster) at 12:01 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I had this done with both of my pregnancies and it didnt help things along at all. My son was still 11 days late and my daughter 4 days. It didnt hurt but i wasnt in labor when they did it. My midwife did this about a week before my due date.
    price85

Answer by price85 at 12:29 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Didn't work right away fir me but definitely sped things up! I thought it heard a tad but so worth it! I didn't want a late huge baby like my first and this did the trick! Totally natural in comparison to get induced! Do it! I would do it again if I were in your shoes!
    CaityMarie

Answer by CaityMarie at 12:34 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• No, I haven't done it with my pregnancies because it's too risky and unnecessary.

If you need to force things this is one option, but if you prefer to avoid unnecessary interventions then you'd want to skip this one.

Good luck!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:07 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• oh sorry, I didn't answer the rest--

How it is done:
    the doctor (or nurse or midwife) slips a finger between the cervix and amniotic sac to separate them. Then moves the finger around separating them all around. The deeper the more fully they are stripped (or "scraped").

Most report it to be at least uncomfortable to very painful.
    Especially if it was thorough.

If it's going to nudge things along it should do it within 2 days. After that, labor probably is starting on it's own, non-MS-related.

Forcing the body into labor when it was ready can make for a longer laboring experience.
    But it always varies... So... ?

No it comes with risks, it's safer to avoid this and any unnecessary interventions ( -= unnecessary risks) when possible.

Good luck~~

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:13 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• ive nvr had this done but it sounds painfull enough...i was enduced at 38weeks with my dd and that was painful enough i would nvr be induced again if i didnt have to be...good luck
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 10:02 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• i had it done at 38 weeks i had been having irregular contractions for about 2 1/2 weeks and i was at 2 cm when they do it it is very uncomfortable but totally worth it i had my little girl the next morning
    brittanybell

Answer by brittanybell at 11:25 AM on Jun. 3, 2011