Do you like things simple?

Suzie Orman is on PBS at the moment and she has so many good points. Getting rid of the "stuff" is a challenge, but such a fulfillment when it is done.

Ruthmom802

Asked by Ruthmom802 at 12:05 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• Do I need it, Do I love it or Does it make me money? If I can't say yes to any of these questions I give it away. Even DS has learned if he doesn't play with something in 3 or more months it becomes a donation families in need.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 1:29 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I do like things simple. But wow, it is hard to change some habits when you've lived with them forever!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 12:06 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Yes and no. I don't need all the latest gadgets and everything but I couldn't live like the Amish either. I don't much like clutter either and prefer to have simple, clean home decor but I do have a bad emotional attachment habit sometimes.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:29 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I'm the ultimate declutterer. I hate having emotional attachments to objects. Not just for me personally but for anyone.

I have no issue with living minimally.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:22 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I've noticed when on vacation, how little you can do without. I rarely miss or think about the things I've left at home. When I do arrive back home, I usually go through the house and declutter and have a yard sale. : )
    Ruthmom802

Comment by Ruthmom802 (original poster) at 12:24 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I've gotten more "simple" as I've grown older. But I still have boxes of baby stuff from all 3 of my kids (6, 4 and 1) that I don't see getting rid of anytime soon.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 12:31 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I tend to hang onto the kid things too. I maybe 35, but I've got a few child bearing years left in me...
    Ruthmom802

Comment by Ruthmom802 (original poster) at 12:33 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• "KEEP IT SIMPLE" is my motto.  I despise clutter! Letting go is so liberating; free your clutter and you free your mind!

I'm an organizational freak but people tend to think that it means having space and room for everything but rule #1 is to assess if you need those things to begin with ... 9 times out of 10, you usually don't.  I have friends who've added additions to their houses to make room for the junk they've collected over the years when that junk starts to take over.  How backwards is that?

I've never been much of a collector of "stuff" but it still tends to add up.  I've always been good about sorting through things and letting go but as time goes on and I get older, I can make do with less and less and prefer items (whether furniture or beauty products) that serve multiple purposes.  And OP, I echo your sentiment ... I purge periodically but never so much as when we return from vacation!
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 6:32 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I LOVE throwing stuff away or donating it. It feels so good. but at the same time- I'm looking around me right now, and we still have a lot of stuff.

There is really so much that we don't need, but some of it is nice to have around. And while I hate having sentimental value towards inanimate objects, I must admit that sometimes I do.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 11:29 AM on Jun. 3, 2011