Do you have a "pet" snake that lives around your barn?

I hate snakes! But, we've got a rat snake living in the barn. I hate going out there to feed and water the animals now. I'm too preoccupied with looking for that stupid snake. Dh says to leave it around to catch mice...Ugh!

Ruthmom802

Asked by Ruthmom802 at 12:27 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Home & Garden

• My opinion, the only good snake is a dead snake! I'm not afraid of them, I just don't like them!
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 1:11 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• We don't have a barn but when we did there was a snake that called it home! My son discovered a snake in the yard last night when he was playing football. I have a phobia about snakes. I won't be going outside for the rest of the summer.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:00 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• yeah...I hate snakes too, but I've been told that there are a few good ones. I do hate mice!!!!!
    kaedrasgma

Answer by kaedrasgma at 12:45 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Rat snakes are the "good" ones. : )
    Ruthmom802

Comment by Ruthmom802 (original poster) at 12:48 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Ugh, we live in a small town, and have a TON of garter/gardener snakes on our block. We've also had a couple of bull snakes - which are NOT native to this area - but I won't mind them too much as they're supposed to be good about keeping mice/rats away, and we live right next to a field so mice are abundant in the fall :S
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• No alas, we have no barn and we have no snakes . The only wildlie we have are the occasional mouse, plus seagulls and crows . Out in the jungle there are bears, foxes and moose but I live downtown near the sea.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:48 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• We have cats for the mice and they will take out small snakes too.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 7:58 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• No, but we have a family of toads living in our big shed. They're wonderful for keeping the insect population in check.

My Dad had a baby rat snake (about 18" long) in his garage last summer & I had to go "save" him from it...Dad is afraid of snakes...LOL

I wish I could have kept the snake for our gardens (we have a serious chipmunk problem), but DH also doesn't care for snakes.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:16 AM on Jun. 3, 2011