Is the Pell Grant awarded for each semester or is it one lump sum for the entire year?

I honestly can't remember and the summer semester starts on Monday.

Thank you!

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 12:43 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in

• It has been each Semester/Quarter for me, except summer, which is taken partially from Fall's.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:20 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Not sure how your school is doing it but mine had me either fill out my 2010 tax return or file for an "extension" on my previous one (fill out an extra form) Since i did my tax return they will advance the Fall payment to cover summer tuition but I won't receive any money until after fall tuition is paid, so all my summer books etc are out of pocket. .
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:22 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Well, shit. I checked out my balance owed for the summer and fall and they all show a balance of zero. So, they've been paid for already. When I return to the school Monday for classes, I'll probably drop by the financial aid office and talk to them. I am, however, still receiving school funds from the Post 9/11 GI Bill. This helps with the cost of books.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 1:30 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• YES it does!!!!
    If both semesters have already been paid for than the check might already be in the mail for you. Mine doesn't come until after the "Tuition due" date for each quarter so I'll have to wiat until fall and rely on my GI Bill for books as well, but different schools do run things differently.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:35 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Some FA paperwork I have (printed from the school's website) says that X amount was awarded 5/12/2011; it's the same amount that was awarded right after the spring semester started. I was given a student ID card (that also acts just like a debit card) and I've been checking the account for any change. There's not a one. I actually just checked it this morning.

Like I said up there, I'll talk with the FA folks on Monday to be sure.

I remembered the fall balance incorrectly. Summer is all paid up but fall is not. Either way, I'm sure there will be something here soon to reflect that the Pell has covered the two summer semesters (five weeks each).
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 1:47 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Pell Grant for my school is that I get a certain amount for the whole year and its split up for every semester. So I get part of it every semester
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 11:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I found out that it's technically been awarded for the summer. I can take my schedule in to the bookstore and buy my books. However, I can't access it for myself until AFTER the summer semester.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 10:56 PM on Jun. 9, 2011