Need some advice

My mil and i live in the same trailer park. and we have a neighbor who used to be friends with us. she had while they were friends stored alot of his stuff in her front room. She is renting out that room to a college student that she works with and needed the stuff out to make room for him. She had a couple of her guy friends move this guys stuff to his front porch (she couldnt lift it) yesterday and it was left in a way that it wouldnt get damaged by weather or what not they even put a tarp over it. continued below

elananme

Asked by elananme at 6:31 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Relationships

• The falling out happend 4 or five months ago and this stuff has been in her house for a long time before that ( a year ormore) when he got home from work he called her and threatened to charge her with trespassing for going on his lot when he wasnt home and then he called this morning to tell her he was going to charge her with damage to property (or something like that) now what i need to know is can he do that and why or why not and what should she do? we live in alabama if that helps
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 6:31 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• If she moved things onto his property without getting it in writing then the property is legally his. She has to prove it is hers. Even if she does it doesnt mean she has any right to be on his property without asking first.

Answer by gemgem at 6:33 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Sheesh, she was returning the stuff... it's his things, not hers. She was nice enough to store it for that long, but it was time for it to go home and it did. Was even nicer of her to cover it so that it couldn't be damaged.
    I think it'd be illegal to take things from his home, not to bring his things back. If it was me, I'd just call the police department (not 911) and ask them. I'd have notified him that I was bringing it home tho, just incase he wanted to be there to bring it on in, or was out of town.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 7:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• In many states she would have to serve him with eviction notice to be official and send him a certified letter saying if he didn't come get his crap within a certain amount of time it would be disposed of. She could be in trouble. I'd call the police and ask them.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:32 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Absolutely he can sue her and he will win. She put his things outside. Anyone could walk by and take something. You said yourself where they are they could be damaged by the weather. She has to give him written notice to get his things out. And she has to give him ample time to do so. I hope she has some cash saved.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 6:32 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Why would she serve him an eviction notice he never lived there. I didnt say it cold be damaged by the weather i said they covered it to prevent it if it rained but they moved the stuff to his porch on the warmest driest day we have had in months. This stress is going to give her a heart attack. Yet again and if it does it will the the third one hes caused. He moved his stuff inside as soon as he got home.
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 7:20 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• cont
    IT was plastic christmas trees and a box of decoations for the tree. NOt family pictures or heirloom stuff she still has his box of family pics and sewing machine because she knows he doesnt have any way to protect that stuff or to store it in his home. She told him several times over the last few weeks that he needed to get his stuff cause this kid was moving in and he got pissed off then saying that he wasnt going to get it till he was ready for it and was overheard telling someone else he wasnt going to get it that way she couldnt let the kid move in so in my mind he doesnt have a leg to stand on. I didnt say sue either i said criminally press charges. For trespassing and basically vandalism.
    elananme

• He should move his stuff cuz she asked him to. Plus he's had some time... Sounds complicated. Hope it works out.
    biblemommy

Answer by biblemommy at 10:50 AM on Dec. 11, 2008