$360.00 for 3 people for 31 days of breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks.

I am going grocery shopping on Sunday and I have NOTHING in my house right now. I will be starting totally from scratch. I have $360.00 to feed us for 31 days. Only restrictions are I can't make any seafood (DH and DD are Allergic to most.) And also we would prefer to have good home cooked meals NOT hambuger helper (or not A LOT of it anyway) Could you do it? How would you do it? One big trip? One trip a week? Any ideas or good websites to help me would be wonderful!! Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Scour your local store's weekly ad and make a weekly meal plan, using ingredients that are on sale each week.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Ground turkey instead of ground beef, breakfast for dinner a couple of nights (eggs, toast, fruit), cereal and yogurt and fruit for breakfast, beans instead of meat for several meals as protein, frozen veggies, meat that's on sale, buy a whole chicken, make it one night, use leftovers for another meal later in the week....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Avoid WalMart, especially for meat. If you have an Aldi or Sav a Lot, use that for your staples (flour, eggs, etc). Check the meat section of your grocery store for markdowns - as long a you take them home and freeze it until you use it, it doesn't matter if it only has a day or two until it "expires". Just use it the same day you defrost. Frozen veggies will be cheaper than fresh unless there's a special on something locally grown in season. No canned veggies - you're paying for the water and the salt in the can, and getting less veggies. Plan a few large things you can reuse for leftovers. It may seem like a lot for a single roast, but if you can serve it as roast one night, sandwiches a second and use the scraps to make soup or stew for a third, you're getting more out of it than it might seem. Get plain rice (not instant) and make it with broth as a side.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:28 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I agree with what the previous posters suggested and will add: get protein for 2 or 3 meals a week from beans and once from eggs. Focus meat-based meals on casseroles, stews, and other things that will make meat stretch. Make stuff from scratch - it's much less expensive.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:22 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Plan meals and snacks; then base your grocery list on the necessary ingredients; this way, you won't buy items you won't use.

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2011