Obama's solicitor general: If you don't like mandate, earn less money

Click here to find out more!
BELTWAY CONFIDENTIAL
Politics from the Nation's Capital
Obama solicitor general: If you don't like mandate, earn less money
"BookmarkShare PrintPrint
By: Philip Klein 06/02/11 12:52 PM
Senior editorial writer Follow Him @Philipaklein

President Obama's solicitor general, defending the national health care law on Wednesday, told a federal appeals court that Americans who didn't like the individual mandate could always avoid it by choosing to earn less money.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/06/obama-solicitor-general-if-you-dont-mandate-earn-less-money#ixzz1OBefkjxw

If you don't want to have to pay for it, make less money Wouldn't that mean other people are paying for you and just make the whole thing worse? Wasn't this the reason for the reform?

The arrogance of this administration takes my breath away sometimes.

DSamuels

Asked by DSamuels at 1:21 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I see this ALL the time in my field of work. The attitude is, if I don't work or I work under a certain amt. of hours my medical, prescriptions are paid for by the Government! Really! They actually think the govt. pays, not the taxpayers! I just want to scream, where in the hell do you think they're getting the money to pay for your sorry ass, but I need my job! Not only does the hypocrisy from capital hill take my breath away, so do the idiots you and I pay taxes for that think the “government” owes them!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:50 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• It would be interesting to see a breakdown of what percentage of people who support the HCR fall under the new, higher income limit to qualify for medicaid come 2014.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:58 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• This is what I find interesting and totally agree with:

Judge James Graham, a Reagan district court appointee who is temporarily hearing cases on the appeals court, said, “I hear your arguments about the power of Congress under the Commerce Clause, and I’m having difficulty seeing how there is any limit to the power as you’re defining it.”

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:08 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• After reading the first article I got when I googled the title statement I have to start to wonder if the government understands where the money to pay for those that can't afford it comes from. Like it's a never ending supply of cash or subsidies. I wonder what they are smoking on the hill these days.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:11 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Well the problem for us being middle class is we dont make enough for any assistance. If we make less we cant pay our bills. We still dont make enough money to even get a new car lol, so making less is not an option for normal middle class peeps like myself.

Answer by gemgem at 8:20 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• And people say this administration isn't trying to collapse the economy to the point people cry out for a full government take over. lol Don't work very much let us take care of you. So sad the Obamabots can't see it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• Unfortunately there are to many Americans who are figuring just this out. Especially the ones on unemployment. I'm sure there are plenty of them thinking of going to welfare, food stamps and the great government programs that give the poor free phones, internet and discounts on their utilities and rent.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:06 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I'm not surprised. This from the administration that has increased food stamp usage to record numbers as well as other nanny entitlements. Now, defending their mandate in this manner. Pathetic. But apropo for this administration.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:23 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I don't think our citizens need any help in the Make Less Money Department. Salaries have been declining for quite sometime. 17 more months of this shit and it's over.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

• I think in response I would have said 'if you don't like criticism, you can always choose to not work in the public sector'. What an ass wipe.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:27 AM on Jun. 3, 2011