Who doesn't check that crap?

So, the electric has been in our name since June, whenthe last of our roommates moved out. In march, two others moved out and I guess the electric was in their name?

First off, who doesn't change their address, and make sure all the bills were changed too when they move out? Our other two roommates dealt with the bills except for the one that was in our name, and we paid our part every month.

NOW, I get a call from the other roommate, Greg, because he just got an electric bill for the house for 507 dollars. PLUS, Jeff and I moved out of there in August.

Not our fault, we've been paying it in our name, this whole time.
Greg is trying to tell me the transfer date isn't until Nov 2nd, and when I Called they told me June 30th. The day we switched it.

And is threatening to take us to court.
Why is it our fault, seriously? ha.

oliviasmomma09

Asked by oliviasmomma09 at 6:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Money & Work

• I don't know if it works this way everywhere, but here where I live, they can charge two accounts at once for the same house. I built my house, and my contractor opened 2 accts for it. He paid on one, but not the other. He ripped me off, but long story short of it is that when my power got turned off, I asked the power co. what happened and they said that he closed out the accts and I didn't have one, so...no power. It's not "supposed" to happen, but when they don't do their jobs and double check things...So, it might be that when they "transferred" it to your name, they really just opened a new acct, and he didn't close the original so...his fault.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Were you both being charged at the same time? It is his own fault for not taking his name off it. You guys have been paying your own bill so it's not like you have just been running up a bill in his name and not caring. I would just let him take you, just make sure when you go that you have all the proof you need so you can win. A letter from the electric companie saying when it was put in your name and all the bills you have gotten and the proof you paid for them.(I watch judge Judy alot..LOL)
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 6:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• no dont worry abut it if u called and they said june 30th thats all that matters... they probably are tring to scare u so that they can get money from u and think u will give in.....
    Anonymous

• No, we weren't. and Iknow it was paid between March and June because obviously they wouldn't let us go three months without shutting it off. He didn't even change his address until recently, cause my FIL owns the house and Greg's mail was STILL coming there. We never opened his mail, but he was getting things from ComEd. So who knows if it was even for our house? When I called him back and he was like "oh we're taking you to court then." I called them back and ComEd is sending us the written thing that says it was transfered June 30th, and then all our bills and paid stubs since. And evne the ones for our new address to prove it was switched. I told him to talkt o Jeremy, the roommate that was dealing with all the bills.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 6:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• No, they can't do that here. They transfered the service from the previous account to our name. so whose ever name it was, Gregs or Jeremy's, it got shut off in their name and turned on in ours.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 8:59 PM on Dec. 9, 2008