Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

What do I do to protect my son .. Once I am gone. From someone taking advantage

My son is so loving and caring.. He has Epilepsy, Autism, and OCD. He does not like being around people and does not like to even shop.. How do I protect him. I won't be here forever.... He has Social Security.. and well that might just attrack the poor Wrong type of person to help him.

Answer Question

Asked by angduse1 at 1:27 AM on Jun. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 7 (184 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Look into group homes. They have some that are like having college roommates where it is 4 to 5 people in the house each having their own room, and they have caregivers come in and help. All the caregivers are trained and pass a back ground check. The ones here have different levels of care. My Aunt is in one where they help her get to work, balance her check book, planing. Some give more care than that she is just very high functioning. The state facilities are not what they once where. These group homes are really a blessing to those that need them because they get to have jobs and be a part of society. They just have a bit of a safety net so they do not get into to much trouble or have bad people take advantage of them.


    Answer by Alanaplus3 at 1:35 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

  • Thanks.. That might be a great idea.. I will check it out. I am afraid I might not be able to put him in a place with five other people because of his OCD and stress from that causes more Seizures. But still worth looking into. Thanks Again.

    Comment by angduse1 (original poster) at 1:44 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

  • Also, set up a trust for your son that details who will be his guardian and be responsible for making decisions for him

    Answer by layh41407 at 6:48 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

  • Does he have siblings? Other relatives? Someone will need to assume guardianship after you are gone, and the state is not the best person to do that.

    Answer by missanc at 9:48 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

  • the best thing to do is find a trusted friend who is willing and able to take over the care of your child when and if something happens to you....

    Answer by cara124 at 9:53 AM on Jun. 3, 2011

  • I am looking into making my oldest Daughter his power of attorney is anything happens to me. I will contact a Attorney soon.. My Son is the oldest of Five Children and I am pretty sure his one sister who has been the closes to him will take on the job. People in my family think I am terrible for asking her to take on such a responsibility. But you know what.. Let them walk a mile in my shoes. and My Daughter can turn it down if she wants. But I don't think she will.. She has more sense then 50 percent of my family.. She is a Good girl.

    Comment by angduse1 (original poster) at 10:13 AM on Jun. 8, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.